Ancestors of Tim Farr and The Descendants of Stephen Farr

Moses Judson DALEY [scrapbook] was born 1 in 1822. He died 2 in 1898 in Springville, Utah, Utah, United States. Moses married 3 Harriet Fox HARRIS on 5 May 1844 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States.

Harriet Fox HARRIS [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 26 Dec 1823 in Windham, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, United States. She died 2 in 1910 in Springville, Utah, Utah, United States. She was buried in Springville, Utah, Utah, United States. Harriet married 3 Moses Judson DALEY on 5 May 1844 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States.

Family records of Leander Harris
Harriet and Moses were married by Phinehas Richards.

Stephen ALDOUS [Parents] was christened on 26 Feb 1636/1637 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom. He was buried on 25 Jan 1721/1722 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom. Stephen married Ursula WYARD.

Other marriages:
MORCE, Susan

From records in the posession of Tim Farr.

 Stephen Aidous was born in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, in 1637. When he was a few months old his father, Stephen Aldous, died, and in due time his mother remarried.  Stephen became a tailor, and in about 1661 married Ursula Wyard, of Earl Soham, Suffolk, the par- ish where she had been born in 1641.  The couple's first child was born at nearby Eye in 1662.  In April of 1664 Ursula's father, Francis Wyard, died, and in his will bequeathed ten pounds to "Steaven Alldis my sonn in lawe." He also gave "unto Ursula Alldis my daughter that my messuage [a house with its outbuildings and yard], or tenement in Earlesoham. . . "  Stephen and Ursula evidently moved to their inherited property, as their next three children were born at Earl Soham, in 1664, 1667, and 1670.  The next year they moved to Fressingfield, Stephen's native par- ish, and here six more children were born. Stephen's father, at his untimely death in 1637, just after young Stephen was born, had stipulated in his will that his widow was to have his property as long as she lived, and then it was to go to his son Stephen.  She, Anne, lived to be quite old, and in the Court Rolls of the Manor of Chevenhall alias Chepenhall, under date of 17 March 1697 we find the following (abstracted): "Stephen Aldous, formerly a copyhold tenant, died long since, and Anne Dains, widow, formerly Anne Aldous relict of said Stephen, is also now dead.  She held for her lifetime, by virtue of the will of her dead husband Stephen Al- dous, premises called Babilons alias Bourneys alias Peasley, which he inherited Court Record I October 1628 under the will of his father Stephen Aldous.  Now comes Stephen, only son and heir of the first- mentioned Stephen Aldous and Anne his wife, and is admitted tenant." This record gives us three generations of Stephen Aldous'. Ursula died in 1701, and in 1704 Stephen married Susan Morce (or Merce).  In the marriage entry he is called "Stephen Aldous Senr Taylor." When he wrote his will the next year, 1705, he called him- self a yeoman (farmer of his own land), so he himself probably con- sidered being a yeoman more important than being a tailor.  In his will Stephen gave to his son Stephen "all that my Messuage or Tenement wherein I now dwell together with all & every the houses Outhouses Yards Gardens Orchards Lands meadows pastures Feadings hereditaments & Appts whatsoever to the said Messuage or Tenement be- longing Scituate lying & being in Fressingfield. . . " Son Stephen, in turn, was to pay legacies, some of twenty pounds and some of ten pounds, to his brothers and sisters Francis Aldous, William Aldous, Martha, Ann Aldous, Margaret Aldous, Thomas Aldous, John Aldous, and James Aldous; also "to Ursula Aldous my Grandchild ten pounds when eighteen." (Ursula was daughter of Stephen.)  Stephen lived for quite a few years after his will was written, having almost reached the age of eighty-four when he died and was buried at Fressingfield in January of 1722. (The date was 1721 by the calendar then in use in England; up until the year 1752 the first day of the year was March twenty-fifth.)

Ursula WYARD [Parents] was christened on 12 Feb 1640/1641 in Earl Soham, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom. She was buried on 29 Jan 1700/1701 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom. Ursula married Stephen ALDOUS.

They had the following children.

  M i Stephen ALDOUS was christened on 6 Nov 1662.
  M ii Francis ALDOUS was christened on 9 Dec 1664. He was buried on 16 Mar 1730/1731.
  F iii Martha ALDOUS was christened on 19 Mar 1669/1670. She was buried on 6 Feb 1747.
  F iv
Mary ALDOUS was christened on 26 Oct 1671 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom.

DEATH: (young)
  F v
Anne ALDOUS was christened on 27 Jun 1674 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom.
  F vi Margaret ALDOUS was christened on 27 Oct 1676. She was buried on 14 Apr 1743.
  M vii Thomas ALDOUS was christened on 27 Nov 1679. He was buried on 20 Feb 1735/1736.
  M viii
John ALDOUS was christened on 18 Oct 1681 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom.
  M ix
James ALDOUS was born about 1683 in Fressingfield, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom.
  M x William ALDOUS was born on 23 Jun 1667. He was buried on 7 Feb 1733/1734.

Robert Cornelius WINTER was born on 23 Feb 1845 in Reading, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom. Robert married Caroline Eliza SAUNDERS on 7 Dec 1868 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Caroline Eliza SAUNDERS [Parents] was born on 5 Mar 1853 in Soham, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom. She died on 28 Sep 1914 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She was buried on 1 Oct 1914 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Caroline married Robert Cornelius WINTER on 7 Dec 1868 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
MILLER, Andrew

Andrew MILLER was born on 8 Mar 1852 in Clayton, Burgess Hill, Sussex, England, United Kingdom. He was christened on 10 Dec 1854 in Clayton, Parish, Sussex, England, United Kingdom. He died on 29 Jan 1919. Andrew married Caroline Eliza SAUNDERS on 16 Dec 1872 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Andrew was counted in a census in 1861 in Keymer, Sussex, England, United Kingdom.

Marriage in the Endowment House

Caroline Eliza SAUNDERS [Parents] was born on 5 Mar 1853 in Soham, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom. She died on 28 Sep 1914 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She was buried on 1 Oct 1914 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Caroline married Andrew MILLER on 16 Dec 1872 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
WINTER, Robert Cornelius

James Merrill SAUNDERS [Parents] [scrapbook] was born on 5 Oct 1860 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He died on 10 Jul 1914 in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana, United States. He was buried on 14 Jul 1914 in Lakeview Cemetery, Centenial Valley, Beaverhead, Montana, United States. James married Idaho Florida GREGSON "Ida" on 19 Dec 1888 in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana, United States.

 Wife should be Phoebe?

Idaho Florida "Ida" GREGSON was born on 10 Aug 1864 in Pleasand Valley, Clark, Idaho, United States. She died on 6 Aug 1932 in Lima, Beverhead, Montana, United States. She was buried on 8 Aug 1932. Ida married James Merrill SAUNDERS on 19 Dec 1888 in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana, United States.

John Merrill SAUNDERS [Parents] [scrapbook] was born on 8 Dec 1863 in Harrisville, Weber, Utah, United States. He died on 12 Jan 1934 in Collinston, Box Elder, Utah, United States. He was buried on 15 Jan 1934 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States. John married Matilda GERMER on 25 Dec 1883 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
SMITH, Alice Octavia
ERICKSON, Wilhelmina Elizabeth

Matilda GERMER [scrapbook] was born 1 on 25 Dec 1865 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States. She died on 17 Jan 1898 in Box Elder, Utah, United States. Matilda married John Merrill SAUNDERS on 25 Dec 1883 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States.

John Merrill SAUNDERS [Parents] [scrapbook] was born on 8 Dec 1863 in Harrisville, Weber, Utah, United States. He died on 12 Jan 1934 in Collinston, Box Elder, Utah, United States. He was buried on 15 Jan 1934 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States. John married Alice Octavia SMITH on 24 Sep 1901 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
GERMER, Matilda
ERICKSON, Wilhelmina Elizabeth

Alice Octavia SMITH was born on 25 Jan 1865 in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States. She died on 28 Feb 1937 in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, United States. Alice married John Merrill SAUNDERS on 24 Sep 1901 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States.

John Merrill SAUNDERS [Parents] [scrapbook] was born on 8 Dec 1863 in Harrisville, Weber, Utah, United States. He died on 12 Jan 1934 in Collinston, Box Elder, Utah, United States. He was buried on 15 Jan 1934 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States. John married 1 Wilhelmina Elizabeth ERICKSON on 15 Aug 1928 in Malad City, Oneida, Idaho, United States.

Other marriages:
GERMER, Matilda
SMITH, Alice Octavia

Wilhelmina Elizabeth ERICKSON was born on 19 Nov 1896 in Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah, United States. She died on 30 Mar 1984 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She was buried on 5 Apr 1984 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, United States. Wilhelmina married 1 John Merrill SAUNDERS on 15 Aug 1928 in Malad City, Oneida, Idaho, United States.

Other marriages:

Asahel FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 22 Jan 1766 in Hardwick, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States. He was christened 2 on 23 Mar 1766 in Hardwick, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States. He died 3, 4 on 20 Feb 1823 in Lower Waterford, Caledonia, Vermont, United States. Asahel married 5, 6 Lydia SNOW on 25 Jan 1787 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States.

Asahel was counted in a census 7 in 1800 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States.

According to "The Farr Genealogy" by the Rev. Charles N. Sinnett, Asahel real name was spelled Ansell but was known as Asahel.

According to Caledonia Co. probate records dated March 1823, the last two children (Mary and Jonathan) were given to Sylvanus Hemmingway of Waterford for guardianship. It states their ages as 13 and 10. Levi R. Farr was appointed Administrator of the Estate.
Source: Copy of probate in possession of Tim Farr

Asahel Farr Deed To Winslow Farr:
Know all men by these presents that I Asahel Farr of Waterford in the count of Caledonia and State of Vermont for and in consideration of three hundred dollars to me well and truly paid before the delivery hereof by Winslow Farr of Waterford aforesaid the Receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge have given granted bargained and Sold and by these presents do give grant bargain sell alien enfeoff convey and confirm unto him the said Winslow Farr his heirs and assigns forever the following tract or parcel of land lying and being in Waterford aforesaid described as follows, viz. Lot number Eleven in the tenth range and is the first division of the Right of Noah Crittenden except thirty five acres off of the south end of said lot which I have heretofore Deeded.

To have and to hold the said granted premises with all the privileges and appurtenances to the same belonging to him the said Winslow Farr his heirs and assigns to him and their own proper use and benefit forever and I the said Asahel Farr for myself my heirs executors and administrators do hereby covenant grant and agree to and with the said Winslow Farr his heirs and assigns that at and until the sealing these presents I am the lawful owner of the said premises am_____________thereof in my own right in fee Simple to have good right and lawful authority to sell and convey the same in manner aforesaid and that the said premises are free and clear of all and every incumbrance whatsoever And I the said Asahel Farr for myself my heirs executors and administrators engage to warrant and defend the said premises to him the said Winslow Farr his heirs and assigns against the lawful claims and demands of any person or persons whomsoever.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and on the thirteenth day of February one thousand eight hundred and seventeen.

Signed and Sealed and delivered in the presence of Sylvanus
Hemingway Hemingway
Asahel Farr (Ls)

State of Vermont} Waterford February 13, 1817
Caledonia County} Personally appeared Asahel Farr Signer and Sealer of the above instrument and acknowledged the __________ to be his free act and Deed.

Sylv. S. Hemingway Justice Peace
Aforesaid April 1st 1824 the above is a true record
Attest. Sylv. S. Hemingway, Town Clerk

In 1980 Eugenia Powers (1913-1985) made the following description of the original headstone of Asahel Farr:

Row13 #18
"In Memory of
who died Feb. 20, 1823
aged 57 years & 29 days.

Soapstone--- bulge top with willow & urn-- sunburst in corners of shoulder of stone and diamond pattern border underneath-- inscription area is an oval on end and drapery in the corners outside the oval-- different!!"

DEATH: 57 years, 29 days, wife; Lydia, cemetery; Lower Waterford.

Lydia SNOW [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 18 Mar 1772 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States. She died 3, 4 on 13 Feb 1822 in Lower Waterford, Caledonia, Vermont, United States. Lydia married 5, 6 Asahel FARR on 25 Jan 1787 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States.

In 1980 Eugenia Powers (1913-1985) made the following description of the original headstone of Asahel Farr:

Row13 #19
"In Memory of
LYDIA, wife of
Asahel FARR, who died
Feb. 13, 1822
aged 49 -----?

soapstone--similar--not covered with lichens and less surface damage-- toothed design around curve of bulge-- urn is delicate (same urn and willow as his) Border below is toothed, not diamond--inscription area is the same(oval on end w/ drapery at sides and sunburst in the corners."

DEATH: 49 years, 11 months, 5 days, husband; Asahel Farr, cemetery; Lower Waterford.

They had the following children.

  F i Sybil FARR was born on 13 May 1787. She died on 13 Jan 1843.
  F ii Edith FARR was born in 1791. She died on 31 Jul 1813.
  M iii Winslow FARR Sr was born on 12 Jan 1794. He died on 22 Aug 1865.
  M iv Levi Ruggles FARR was born about 1796. He died on 24 Jul 1840.
  M v Shubael FARR was born in 1799. He died on 14 Sep 1838.
  F vi Lydia FARR was born on 12 Aug 1799. She died on 10 Oct 1827.
  F vii Leafy FARR was born about 1802.
  F viii Harriet Snow FARR was born on 28 Feb 1804. She died on 21 Oct 1880.
  F ix Mary Belinda FARR was born on 31 Jan 1809. She died on 3 Jul 1890.
  M x Jonathan FARR was born about 1813. He died in Jun 1895.

Winslow FARR Sr [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 12 Jan 1794 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States. He died 4, 5 on 22 Aug 1865 in Big Cottonwood, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He was buried on 29 Aug 1865 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. Winslow married 6 Adelia Maria CLEMENS on 22 Jan 1846 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States.

Winslow was counted in a census 7 in 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He was counted in a census 8 in 1856 in Big Cottonwood, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He was counted in a census 9 on 17 Jul 1860 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
FREEMAN, Olive Hovey
COLBURN, Amanda Bower
PORTER, Roxana
COLE, Achsach Sans Earl

Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p.866
FARR, WINSLOW (son of Ashael Farr, baptized March 23, 1776, at Chesterfield, Vt., and Lydia Snow, born March 18, 1772, Chesterfield, Vt. married 1786). He was born Jan. 14, 1794, Chesterfield, Vt, Came to Utah Sept. 30, 1850, Joseph Young company. Married Olive Hovey Freeman Dec. 5, 1816, Hanover, Vt. (daughter of Elijah Freeman, born Nov. 3, 1757, Mansfield, Conn., and Olive Hovey, born Oct. 30, 1761, died Oct. 21, 1820 married Dec. 27, 1781). She was born June 23, 1799, Lebanon, NH., died March 10, 1893, Big Cottonwood, Utah. Their children: John b. Dec. 14, 1817, d. infant; Aaron Freeman b. Oct. 31, 1818, m. Persis Atherton Jan. 16, 1844; Lorin b. July 27, 1820, m. Nancy B. Chase; Olive Hovey b. March 18, 1825, m. William Walker Nov. 3, 1843; Diantha b. Oct. 12, 1828, m. William Clayton Jan. 1845; Winslow b. May 11, 1837, m. Emily Jane Covington Oct. 17, 1858. Family resided Waterford and Charleston, Vt., before coming to Utah. Appointed one of municipal high council of twelve 1846. Settled on Big Cottonwood river 1851. Died Aug. 25, 1867, Big Cottonwood, Utah.

Archibald F. Bennett, Saviors on Mount Zion, p.113 In the Genealogical Library are bound volumes of the Era, in one of which appears this story:

Concerning Gratitude
by President George Albert Smith
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33.)

My great-grandparents lived in New England. When the message of the restored gospel was first taken to that section by Orson Pratt and others, the houses of worship were not open to them. They had a difficult time in finding a place in which to preach. They came to a small village and thought surely they would readily find someone who would offer to open a place for the preaching of the gospel, but they found none. At length they inquired of a man on the street as to where they could secure a place. He said, "Go find Winslow Farr. I think he can help you. So they went to see Winslow Farr; he was easily found; everyone knew him. They told him what they wanted to find a place in which to preach the gospel.  He asked, "What are you going to preach about?" They answered, "Jesus Christ and the gospel." He said, "I will help you. They found a place and invited the people to come. Orson Pratt told them God had spoken again from the heavens, and that a young man named Joseph Smith had received heavenly manifestations. The Lord had directed him to an ancient record which the Prophet translated the Book of Mormon. It was a divine record, the story of the ancestry of the American Indians.

Orson Pratt's testimony was so effective that Winslow Farr came up to him, took his hand, and said, "I have enjoyed your meeting tonight. Where are you going to stay?" On learning that they had no place to stay, he said, "You come home with me. The missionaries didn't know that Winslow Farr's wife was dying of a dread disease  tubercular consumption. But this servant of the Lord, Orson Pratt, seeing her condition and realizing how kind her husband had been, looked at her and asked, "Have you faith to be healed?" The doctor had said she could not be healed, could live but a few days. When asked that question she said, "I don't know if I have that faith or not, but I know God could heal me if he wanted to. And then this servant of the Lord said, calling her by her given name, "Olive, in the name of God, I command you to be healed." She was healed and in a few days was going about performing her household duties.

It was not long after that the Farrs came [p.114] down where our people were situated in Nauvoo. And when our people came farther west, the Farrs were among the first to come. Winslow Farr, my great-grandfather, and Olive Farr, his wife, had three sons and a daughter born to them. They were among the first people to live in Ogden. The last time the Farr family assembled to celebrate her birthday, they found she was grandmother, great-grandmother, or great-great-grandmother to more than three hundred and twenty people, and I was one of the great-grandchildren.

Excerpts From A Patriarchal Blessing Given By
Patriarch John Smith On The Head Of Winslow Farr Sr.
On 7/23/1845 At Nauvoo, Ill.
Thou has obeyed the Gospel with an honest heart, hast not regarded the scorn of thy friends, nor the persecutions of thine enemies, has suffered and labored much for the moving forward the cause of Zion. The lord is well pleased with thee and thy name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life to remain there forever. Thou are of the Blood of Ephraim thy posterity shall be exceedingly numerous and I seal upon thee a continuation of lives. Thou art called to be a counselor in the House of Israel and this shall be thy salvation through all the generations of thy posterity, thou shall do a great work to bring about much restoration for the House of Israel and gather thy thousands into the church and establish them in the Land of Zion with very much treasure thou shalt be able to do any miracle that ever was done by man when it is necessary to forward thy work. Thou shall be able to prevail over thy enemies and not a hair of thy head shall fall by their hands...(15)
Volume 9, p. 312 #935
( Church Historical Department)

An excerpt from:
Biography of Diantha Farr Clayton
by Sharon Jeppson
It is no surprise that the Farr family had receptive hearts for the message of the gospel.   T. Earl Pardoe, a family historian, recorded a family story told to him by his grandfather, Lorin Farr.  Prior to Diantha's birth, Grandfather Elijah Freeman came to visit the family.  Lorin was just six years of age, but he would sit by his grandfather, and hear him say again and again that the true Church of Christ was not upon the earth.  Grandfather Freeman was a devout man who had withdrawn from the Congregational Church, because he felt that it covered-up serious wrongdoing and protected the offenders.  He had immersed himself deeply into the scriptures and would tell his loved ones that when the true church was restored it would have apostles, prophets, and gifts of the Spirit.  He told them that Israel would be gathered again and Jerusalem would be rebuilt.  He informed his family that they were living in the last days and that they might be fortunate enough to see the gospel restored in all of its beauty.

By the time the Mormon Elders arrived, Grandfather Freeman had passed on, but his family recognized the truth.  When Lorin first heard the teachings of the Elders, he exclaimed, “Why that is what my grandfather said.” After his baptism, Father Winslow was ordained a Teacher, a Priest, and then, in July of 1834, an Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood.  As the Farr family began serving in the church, they found their testimonies growing, and they developed a yearning desire to join the body of the Saints in Ohio.  (3, pp. 23-25)

This desire was realized four years after their baptism, when Diantha was eight years of age.  As Winslow was a man who was highly respected in the community, the townsfolk were not pleased to hear of his desire to move from the area and join the Mormons in their gathering place.

Tullidge in his biographies of Men of Northern Utah, p. 177 writes:

“Father Farr sold out his property, he having some 2,000 acres of land, but found it difficult to sell for anything near its worth, his neighbors throwing every obstacle in his way to prevent him from selling as he was a prominent and influential man in the country, they did not want him to leave to gather with the deluded Mormons.  Determined, however, to leave in the fall and winter of '36-7, he sold a portion of his property for one-fourth less than its true value.  By September 1837, he got his teams ready and the entire family prepared to go to Kirtland, Ohio.

“A village party was given the Farrs for their leaving, but many of Winslow's and Olive's friends stayed away, telling them frankly that such going showed little wisdom and warranted naught but trouble and ultimate disgrace.”(3, p. 26)

Marriage: Water Town Clerk, Index of Marriage Records Book 2, page 229. Married by Sylvanus Hemingway.

CENSUS: Age 57. Listed with wife Olive and son Winslow.

CENSUS: Winslow had a household of 6, a real wealth of $1500, and a personal wealth of $600.

Adelia Maria CLEMENS [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 14 Oct 1820 in Bastard, Leeds, Ontario, Canada. She died on 5 Sep 1903 in Basalt, Bingham, Idaho, United States. She was buried in Sep 1903 in Iona, Bonneville, Idaho, United States. Adelia married 3 Winslow FARR Sr on 22 Jan 1846 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States.

She was counted in a census 4 in 1870 in Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
GRIBBLE, William
PERKINS, Daniel Wadsworth

Shirley Charlesworth typed the following from the handwritten Pension request of Adelia M. Gribble: (See pages 10 and 11 of this history for the request made by Elizabeth B Gribble.):
Old War and Navy Div., Dept, of the Interior, Bureau of Pensions Deposition A
Case of Adelia M. Gribble No. 13477.
Continuation of Claimant (Adelia) Statement.
Came back from the Mexican War; so it was but he did not come home from the Army but went to Calilbrnia and stayed several years and then when he came back he married Elizabeth. Elizabeth and I lived together as his wives—and she was living at his death—but was not present when he died. I was with him on that trip and therefore was present when he died. She was at our home in Gunnison when he died, but she was sent for and was present at the funeral. After his death, Elizabeth and I continued to live together in same house. Sometime after that Elizabeth married George Fenn in Salt Lake by the Mormon form of sealing and she has lived with him ever since and is living with him now—they have been married or living together for 26 years but have had no children. Brother Fenn also had another wife, but she is dead—only died 2 years ago. They lived in Salina. Sevier Co., Utah.
Question: Did you have at any time any other husband than William Gribble, either under the customs of the Mormon Church or otherwise.
Answer: Yes, Sir, but not since he died. While he was in the Army and in California, not knowing whether he was dead or not, and according to Utah law had been gone so long that our marriage was "outlawed." I didn't get any divorce but was sealed to Daniel Perkins, the father of Mark Perkins (4BJ) by me. I didn't live with him, Perkins, but 8 years when he started to Chicago on business and I have never heard of him since. In the meantime and before Perkins went away, Gribble came back and married Elizabeth (sealed to her). I did not live with him again till Perkins disappeared. I was sealed to him, or as we say, married him again, so that Elizabeth and I continued to be his wives till his death.
Question: After (Gribble's death have you married, been sealed to or lived or cohabited with any other man as his wife.
Answer: No, Sir—neither—I never had anything to do with any other man since his death--I consider it an insult to ask me such a question if you mean to intimate that I lived unlawfully, by Church or State, with any man at any time.
Question: Where have you lived since his death.
Answer: In Gunnison, Sanpete Co., Utah, till 2 years ago. Everybody in Gunnison and vicinity know me well all the time I lived there.
Question: Were you ever divorced by Church or State from William Gribble or he from you. Answer: No. Sir—not as far as I know and I guess I would have known.
Question. It is said that he was divorced from you at Nauvoo, Ill. Is that true.
Answer. It is a lie and the person who so says knows he lies. He was married at Nauvoo, or rather was sealed to Sophia Smith, but he was not divorced from me by any form. As I said before, while he was in the Army and in California I was sealed to another man Perkins, and lived with him till he disappeared and then was reunited to Gribble by the Mormon form of sealing. A church record is always made in the Church where the ceremony of "sealing" is performed.
Question: Do you know in what Co. and Reg. in the Mexican War Gribble served.
Answer: The Mormon Battalion that is all I know. His Cal. was named Cook. I don't remember who his captain, but I think is was Higgins—it may have been James Brown, but that is not my recollection—I don't remember when he enlisted or how long he served nor when he was discharged or where—but I do know that he took his plural wife, Sophia Smith, with him when he went off. I don't remember where he started from. I know he got to Mexico about the close of the war. I used to know all about it but have forgotten. I think he was discharged in California and pensioned there as I have stated.
Question: Have you any papers or other documentary evidence certifying your husband, William Gribble, as the soldier, William Gribble, in the Mormon Battalion.
Answer: All our papers were destroyed while fleeing from the Indians.
Question: Was your husband, Wm. Gribble, ever granted a land warrant.
Answer: Yes, Sir.
Question: Do you remember the number—or have you the warrant.
Answer: No, Sir. I suppose Elizabeth has it.
Question: Do you thoroughly understand and comprehend the questions asked you and have your answers to them been correct words in this deposition.
Answer: Yes.
We were both present at the taking and reading of the forgoing deposition and do certify that claimant declared in our presence that she had thoroughly understood the questions and that her
answers are correctly recorded in the same.
Signed: Adelia M. Gribble
Joseph Crofts
Olive M. Crofts
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 9 day of June, 1898, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing
Signed: C. W. Freeman
Special Examiner
Page 13 Deposition A
The Nauvoo Temple Endowment Register copy (on following page) that Shirley obtained when they were visiting Nauvoo, Illinois. It shows the Endowment of William Gribble and Huldah Sophia Gribble. She is the wife that Adelia M. Gribble says went with him on the Mormon Battalion march in the above deposition.

Joseph Smith Gribble history as told to his daughter, Lorene:

Contributed By Clella Stiles · Jun 21, 2013, 4:31 PM
This is the life story of my 2 great grandfather, JOSEPH SMITH GRIBBLE, as told by his daughter, Lorene Gribble Sheppard and written by Phyllis Cooper.Grandfather JOSEPH SMITH GRIBBLE was the son of William Gribble and Adelia Maria Clemens Gribble. He was born 2 Sep 1845 in Nauvoo, Hancock, IL. His parents came from Canada, where they were converted to the LDS church by missionaries there. An item of interest is the fact that his mother, Adelia Maria, attended the first Relief Society meeting held in the room upstairs over the Prophet Joseph Smith's store, when the Prophet organized the R.S. My grandfather was named for the prophet.(Clella's note: Adelia's name is not found among the women in the 1st RS. Maybe it was one of the first, but not the first.)Before the saints left Nauvoo my grandfather's parents had separated. His father, Wm. Gribble, came across the plains with an advanced company of Saints, and was one of the volunteers in the Mormon Battalion, going on to Calif. during the Gold Rush. His mother, Adelia Maria, had married Winslow Farr, and they crossed the plains with a later company.Grandfather was 5 yr old when he crossed the plains, and he walked most of the way — much of the time barefooted. He had one sister, Lydia, who was 9 yr old at the time, and a brother, James, who was a baby of 3 yr of age. James suffered during the trek, and was buried on the plains. This family suffered many of the hardships that other families suffered. They had a wagon and one horse and a cow. The cow was hitched to the wagon and, with the horse, did double duty, in that she helped to pull the wagon and furnished milk for the journey. She was milked every day and the folks put the milk in a crock in the wagon. The jolting of the wagon turned the milk to butter , and the folks ate the butter, and drank the milk. It didn't have time to sour, for it was used daily.Like all the rest of the Saints, they were happy when they reached the Salt Lake Valley. Times were hard for these people and Mr. Farr, being elderly, passed away within a year or so after arrival in SL. Grandfather tells that their food supply was very meager at times. They subsisted on corn pounded up and made into cakes, and on pig weed greens. This was hardly enough food for a growing boy, and he used to sneak out to the horse troughs and get handfuls of wheat to eat. When his mother found out about this she scolded him, and told him not to be taking the feed away from the horses! She was not only his mother, but he school teacher, for she taught school for several years to help provide for her family. She must have been a very versatile person, for it is told that she also sang in the Salt Lake choir, among other things. It is said that she made fancy hats, walked ten miles to sell them, and paid her tithing out of the proceeds.When Grandfather Gribble was about 10 his mother, Adelia Maria, married Dan Perkins. He was not LDS, but joined the Saints in Salt Lake, and was called a "winter Mormon." He later joined the church. To them was born 3 boys ~ Daniel, Charles and Frank. My Grandfather was very fond of these boys, who were his half- brothers, and also of his step—father, Dan Perkins.In the meantime, great grandfather, William Gribble, had returned from Calif. He married Elizabeth Brunell, who was his housekeeper. To them were born 7 children — 2 boys and 5 girls. Grandfather was living part of the time with his father and steps mother, but most of the time with his mother and step—father. He preferred to live with his mother, because he didn't know his father very well. Many times he would run away from his father's place and walk barefooted to his mother's home, which was some 10 miles away.When Grandfather was 14 he went to work on the railroad, where he worked for 2 yr. He was away from home those years, but since he was not of age his money was sent to his mother. During this time he managed to save enough money for himself to buy a horse, and was planning to use this horse for a pack horse. The day he quit his railroad job he was riding one horse and leading the other, when he chanced to meet a group of Indians riding along in a wagon. The Indians stopped him and offered to buy his pack horse. Now Grandfather was very proud of this horse, and didn't wish to part with it. In the wagon one of the squaws was holding a little Indian boy about 2 yr old, and this child was naked. The Indians told Grandfather that they would trade the baby for the horse. But Grandfather refused. When he did they told him if he didn't trade the horse for the baby that they would kill the baby, and proceeded to make preparations to do that very thing. So Grandfather parted with his horse and took the baby. He carried it to the home of an old English couple who gladly took it, as they didn't have any children of their own, and they named it Joseph, after my grandfather. They raise this boy as their own, and some years later this Indian boy rode in a race on the 4th 1 July and won the race. A white man whose family had been massacred by the Indians was disgruntled with the results of the race, and proceeded to take revenge on this boy by horse—whipping him. After this incident the boy left his white benefactors and returned to his own people.When Grandfather was 16, his stepfather, Dan Perkins, went out one day with his team and wagon to get timber, but was never heard from again. My Grandfather searched for him for over 2 yr, but with no luck. Eventually parts of the wagon were found, but nothing more. It was assumed that he had been ambushed by the Indians, and they had taken his life. From then on for the next 4 yr my grandfather lived with his mother and 3 half—brothers, and helped to take care of them. He loved his half—brothers dearly, and never thought of them as half—brothers, but only as his brothers, for he had no brothers of his own. It was sometime during these years that among other things, he rode the Pony Express for a time. On Aug 7, 1865, when he was 20, he married my grandmother, Phoebe Jane Reynolds, who was then 15. Phoebe was born at Winter Quarters in Council Bluffs, Iowa, where her mother died at her birth, and she is buried in the cemetery there. Joseph and Phoebe received their endowments in the Endowment House Aug 7, 1871. Grandmother Phoebe came across the plains with her father and brothers and sisters. She was about 2 yr at the time, so she didn't have to walk, as my grandfather did at age 5.My grandparents moved to a farm in Indianola, Utah in 1875. They had 3 children then. At this time the Indians were beginning to get troublesome again. One night grandfather heard a band of them coming up to the cabin, so he got his gun, told my Grandmother to stand behind the door with bullets in her apron. Then as the Indians came up to the door on their horses, my grandfather opened wide the door, much to their surprise, and spoke to them in their native tongue. They listened to him as he talked them, then turned on their horses and rode away. He had learned to speak the Ute Indian language fluently, and made friends of many of the Indians. He also learned to speak the Danish language from the Danish immigrants who came to Utah as converts.One time my grandfather was away from home for a few days. My grandmother heard Indians coming, but there was no way in those days of determining whether they were friendly or not. She was alone with her 3 small children, one being just an infant was just getting dusk and she gathered her children to her, crept out of the cabin into the sagebrush, and crawled with the children for about 2 miles to the settlement. Another time in the middle of the winter, grandfather was away, and a man came to the house at night and asked if he could come in. There was a storm raging outside, and she felt she cou1dn't turn him away, although she was suspicious as to who he was. She told him she had no bed for him to sleep in, but he could roll his blanket down in front of the fireplace if he wished to. I'm sure she didn't sleep much that night, and must have gone to bed with a prayer on her lips, for the next morning he thanked her, and asked her if she didn't have an idea who he was. She told him she did, but couldn't refuse him shelter from a raging blizzard. It turned out that he was one of the outlaws of the territory of that time. My Grandmother was a very kind and generous woman, and seldom was afraid of anything. She was kind to the Indians who came begging frequently to their door.About this time my grandfather went back to work for the railroad, for a season. He was working for some contractors as an overseer. One payday the contractors failed to appear with the payroll for the laborers. There was considerable unrest in the camp but grandfather had such faith in his employers that he volunteered to pay them out of his own pocket. This amount was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000. But his faith was not justified, for the contractors failed to show up, but instead absconded with the money. So Grandfather took his saddle horse and set out to follow them. He had great determination, and this act of injustice spurred him on. The trip took him up into Oregon and down the coast of Calif. When he arrived at San Francisco, however, he found the men he was tracing had just taken a ship and sailed from the country. He stayed in Calif. almost 3 yr after that, still hoping that those men might return, but he never saw them again. He worked in the fruit orchards and various industries in Calif. Years later he used to entertain his family by telling them about his trip — especially about beautiful Grand's Pass, Oregon, and about leaving the snow filled valleys of Utah and riding into sunny CA. Oranges were a rare treat to those early Utah saints.When the Black Hawk Indian War _broke out Grandfather was commissioned by the U.S. Army to be an Indian Scout, since he could speak the language. At one time he was sent with an Indian Guide to Fishlake County with a message to the soldiers stationed there. They rode night and day for several days, and grandfather had to keep the Indians in front of him all the time, for the Indians were treacherous, even though they professed to be friends. The Indian was to guide them through country that grandfather didn't know, and they delivered the message of the declaration of war. For about 3 yr grandfather served as an Indian scout, trailing the Indians and locating their positions. He had to do this scouting mostly at night, for he could observe their camps by the campfires, and too, they could not observe him as easily at night. One night he and two other Scouts were out searching for Indians, and came so close to one of their camps that before they could get away they were captured. The Indians took them into their camp and held a Pow Wow as to what they could do with the soldiers. Grandfather could understand them, and knew they were discussing the method of torture they were going to use - as they were preparing to tie up the soldiers, a young Indian brave stepped out of the crowd and came and stood beside grandfather. In Indian he spoke to his people and said: "This man is my friend — if you kill him you kill me.” The chief of the tribe looked at the soldiers, and with a gesture of his hand he said: "Go." This was the Indian boy whose life grandfather had saved by trading his prized horse.Grandfather had many interesting experiences at this time, and also suffered many privations and hardships. As an Indian Scout he worked mostly at night and rested by day, and told that he scarcely had his Army uniform off in almost 3 yr. He was happy to see the hostilities with the Indians come to an end, for in his heart he never hated the Indians, but instead had a deep regard for them. After the close of the Indian War my grandparents lived at Cottonwood Canyon, then at Indianola, Mount Pleasant, and Gunnison, Utah. 8 more children were born to them, making 11 in all. Their children in the order of their birth were: Phoebe Adelia, May, Joseph William, Lydia Musetta, Mary Melissa, Eva Amanda, Lottie Crowell, Charles Harold, Hazel (who died in infancy), Lorene, and Stanley Squire. At this time they were living on a farm at Indianola. They had a good farm, and it consisted of fine meadowland. Also at this time the church had many Indian converts and decided to buy up a lot of the land to rehabilitate the Indians. Grandfather was dissatisfied with the price offered him for his land, so he turned it over to the church without cost, and moved to West View Utah. His feelings were hurt over the land deal and he left the church at that time and never was active again. This incident caused a split in his family and several of them never were baptized into the church. When grandfather was attending church he made friends of many of the Indians there. Many times these Indians couldn't understand what was being preached and they would call out: "Joe Gribble, Joe Gribble" — wanting him to interpret for them. This sometimes caused a disturbance in church, over which some of the presiding authorities were not too pleased.In West View my grandfather took up a homestead and lived there for many years. He brought stock from Indianola, and he raised hay. Summers he took his family to 12 mile canyon and got umber for the saw mills. He also peeled poles, with the help of his family and others, and took them down to the valley and sold them. One time while they were up logging in the canyon there came an electrical storm and a flash flood. The men cut the oxen loose from the wagons and drove them up on the hillside. The water poured down the canyon in a raging torrent. It sept away the wagons, and when it reached the camp where grandmother and her children were, it swept away the tent and all their provisions and drowned the milk cow that was tied to the wagon box. Grandmother heard the roaring of the flood in time to save her children and herself by escaping up a hillside. She even lost her only pair of shoes in the flood. By nightfall, however, word of the flood had reached the community in the valley below, and two wagon loads of supplies, and another cow, was sent to them. For this they were very thankful.Grandfather was always very fond of horses. One time he was fording the Sevier River. It was a quiet river, but at times had a strong undercurrent. This time the undercurrent caught the horse and swept it under. Grandfather managed to free himself from the saddle and swam to the bank, but the horse was drowned. grandfather felt very badly about this, for he always loved his horses. Another time in his life he had race horses on the track. They were pacers and trotters. His son—in—law, Lauritz Erickson, also had race horses, and they were in direct competition with each other.Several times during these races grandfather became so excited he lost consciousness and fell to the ground. My grandmother would have to pour cold water on him, and get him up and walk him around. For many years it was thought he had a bad heart. He was always very interested in politics and would become very enthusiastic and excited about political campaigns. For a period of 6 mo. he studied law under one of Utah's prominent attorneys, but his eyesight became faulty at this time, so he was forced to abandon this endeavor, and it was a great disappointment for him, as he had a keen and active mind. When he and grandmother were first married they acted in several plays in the old Salt Lake theater. One time grandfather had to under—study for the leading part, and had 24 pg. of script to memorize over night. He learned his part well. He had to wear a pair of red tights, with a pillow in the back and one in the front. He had to jump out of a tree, and as he did so, the tights ripped, the pillows gaped out. This caused quite a hilarious moment, which wasn't called for in the script. It was difficult to get the audience to settle down enough to hear the rest of the play that evening.Due to grandfather‘s failing eyesight it became increasingly difficult for him to support his family, but in spite of his disability he carried on with many of his former activities. He continued to work in the timber with different groups of men. He did contract plowing and farming, and continued to take care of his own stock, with the help of his boys. Due to his failing eyesight he was prone to accident. One time when he was driving his team in the timber and a young sappling flew up and caught him in the forehead, laying the flesh on his forehead wide open and hanging down over his eyes. Again grandmother came to the forefront, put the flesh back in place and applied some salve which was probably axel grease, used for many purposes in those days, and bandaged the wound. It is said that the wound healed without leaving a scar. Another time he was walking to a neighbor’s house on a business errand, and stepped into a 100' well. It happened there was a large pole through the middle of this well and grandfather managed to reach the pole and hang on in the water until sometime later when someone heard his shouts and cam to his aid. It might be mentioned here that both my grandparents were excellent swimmers, swimming back and forth across the Sevier River on many occasions, just for the pleasure of it. Both were experts with firearms, grandmother handling guns as well as a man.Another interesting incident in the lives of my grandparents and their children was a time when the grandparents hitched up the team to the wagon and went to the village to get supplies, leaving the 4 girls at home. My mother was the youngest, being 4 or 5. Shortly after the folks were gone the girls observed some Indians approaching the house. They were frightened, not knowing whether or not they were friendly. But they proved to be friendly, and came along down the road in single file, as was the custom of the Indians. They had on moccasins and their blankets wrapped around them. This was old Chief Swedds and some of his followers, who were admirers of grandfather, and they had come a long way to pay him a visit. The girls didn't know what to do, but decided to prepare a meal, as was the custom of their mother when they had visitors. The fact that the Indians said, "Eat, eat." also helped them in their decision. So they sat the Indians down to the’ table (7 or 8 of them) and fed them. After the meal was over they didn't know what else to do, so they gathered up what food was left in the house and put it in the Indians sacks and the Indians departed. Then the folks returned and the girls told them what had happened, and my grandparents told them they had done the right thing. Grandfather was sorry he missed his friends.One winter grandfather went out into the valley with the sheep herd. He was about 45 then. One day he came home and told my grandmother that he couldn't see at all. They thought he was snow blind. However, after some days he still was unable to see, so he sold his team of horses and some of his milk cows and went to the hospital in Salt Lake. He stayed in the hospital for 6 weeks, and finally got so he could distinguish light from dark, but he was never able to see anymore than that the rest of his life.Much work fell to my grandmother from then on to help support her family. They gathered wool from the fences that the sheep had pulled off as they went through, and she washed and carded this wool and spun it. She knitted all her family's stockings and made their clothes. They milked their own cows and she churned butter and made cheese. They always had their own pigs, and grandmother took great pride in her fine flock of chickens which produced eggs for the family use and for sale. In 1901 they moved to Marysville, Idaho, where they had a farm on Fall River. Times were very hard for these elderly people but their backs were made for the burden, so they struggled on. When Grandfather was 70 yr old he got a small soldiers pension, and they bought an old store building in Marysville, which they used for a home until their deaths. Grandfather died at the age of 80, five years before grandmother. Up to his death he still loved horses and the Indians. On his grave was placed an American flag. Truly a great American.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index