Ancestors of Tim Farr and Descendants of Stephen Farr Sr. of Concord, Massachusetts and Lidlington, Bedfordshire, England

Eri M. FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] 1 was born 2, 3 on 10 Sep 1840 in Mantua, Portage, Ohio, United States. He died 4, 5 on 28 Sep 1912 in Hiram Township, Portage, Ohio, United States. He was buried 6 in Hiram Rapids, Portage, Ohio, United States. Eri married Mrs. Mary A. FARR about 1865 in Ohio, United States.

Eri resided 7 in 1850 in Troy Township, Geauga, Ohio, United States. He resided 8 in 1860 in Troy Township, Geauga, Ohio, United States. He resided 9 in 1870 in Troy Township, Geauga, Ohio, United States. He resided 10 in 1880 in Troy Township, Geauga, Ohio, United States. He resided 11 in 1900 in Hiram Township, Portage, Ohio, United States. He resided 12 in 1910 in Hiram Township, Portage, Ohio, United States.

Mrs. Mary A. FARR was born 1 in 1842 in Pennsylvania, United States. She died 2 in 1921 in Hiram Township, Portage, Ohio, United States. Mrs. married Eri M. FARR about 1865 in Ohio, United States.

Mrs. resided 3 in 1880 in Troy Township, Geauga, Ohio, United States. She resided 4 in 1900 in Hiram Township, Portage, Ohio, United States. She resided 5 in 1910 in Hiram Township, Portage, Ohio, United States.

Lowell FARR [Parents] 1, 2 was born 3 on 4 Sep 1806 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States. He died 4 on 13 Apr 1862 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States. He was buried 5 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States. Lowell married 6 Phebe Loretta HALFORD on 11 Apr 1831 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States.

Came to Lorain Co., Ohio in 1817. Source: S. Murray Ridge Cemetery Carlisle Twp.,
Cemetery Stone in South Murray Ridge Cemetery states, "died April 1862, 57 yr, 7 months" there is some discrepency in the death date....

Phebe Loretta HALFORD 1, 2 was born 3, 4, 5 on 13 Jul 1812 in Ovid, Seneca, New York, United States. She died 6, 7 on 29 Jan 1901 in Lagrange, Lorain, Ohio, United States. She was buried 8 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States. Phebe married 9 Lowell FARR on 11 Apr 1831 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States.

Phebe resided 10 in 1870 in Ohio, United States. She was counted in a census 11 in 1900 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States.

Source: Theodore Farr (Grandson of Phoebe and Lowell) Phoebe Farr personal Journal.

Commemorative Biographical Record of the counties of Huron and Lorain, Ohio

Phoebe Farr

"Mrs. Phebe L. Farr, who has been a resident of Lorain county for the past three-quarters of a century, and has  been an eyewitness to its full development, deserves more than a passing notice in the pages of this volume.

She is a native of New York State, born in 1812 in the town of Ovid, a daughter of Henry and Eliza (Glazier)  Halford, who were married in New York State. In 1817 the family set out with a team on a journey to the then  "Far West", arriving in Lorain county, Ohio, in February, 1818, and settling in what is now Carlisle township,  where they followed agriculture.

The father died in Carlisle township in 1859, the mother in in 1862, in her eightieth year. To Henry and Eliza  Halford were born nine children, as follows: Reuben, married, died in Lorain county in 1858; Phebe L. is the  subject proper of this memoir; Henry S. was married in Lorain county, and died in Michigan in 1892; Jeremiah, a  widower, resides in Eaton township; Louisa and Laura are both deceased; Humphrey served in the war of the  Rebellion, and died from the effects of a wound; Rebecca is deceased, and Lorenzo died young. Grandfather  Edwin Halford was a native of England, whence at the age of sixteen he came to New York. He was a soldier in  both the Revolution and the French and Indian war.

Phebe L. Halford was about six years old when she came to Lorain county with her parents, and she was educated  at the schools of the locality. In 1832 she was married, in Carlisle township, to Lowell Farr, son of Abel and Polly  (Smith) Farr, all natives of Vermont, who in 1817 came to Lorain county, where they passed from earth, Mrs.  Farr's husband in 1861.

Our subject is the mother if ten children, of whom the following is a brief record: Eliza is the widow of William  Pember, of Eaton, Lorain county, and has two children: Odelpha and William; Rosalie is the wife of Elias Disbro,  of Michigan, and they have six children: Minerva, Phebe, Emma, Ellsworth, Euba and John; Hannah is the  widow of George Seeley, and has four children: Esther, Lemuel, Eliza and Frank; Perscis is the wife of T.J.

Squires, of Carlisle township; Lowell, married, resides in Pittsfield township, Lorain county, and has three  children: Cora, William and George; Ephraim is married, lives in Michigan, and has five children: Eddie, Emma,  Florence, Lena and Hazel; Lauren is married to Hermina Drusendohl, and they have four children: Edna, Earl,  Herschel and Ruby (they all reside at the old home); Phebe was married to Lafayette Dumas, and died in 1871;  Laura died in childhood; Bird is married, has two children - Ethel and Phebe - and lives in Amherst township,  Lorain county."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Phoebe Farr Collection.

This autobiography of Phoebe Loretta Farr, written about 1890, was brought to the Chronicle-Telegram news  office by the author's grandson. This account of the beginnings of the city of Elyria is published just as Mrs. Farr  wrote it. We have made no corrections in spelling, punctuation or capitalization because to have done so would  have destroyed a great deal of the flavor.

Phoebe Holford was born in the year 1812 July the 13th in the town of Ovid, York State. My father was drafted.  The neighbors told him he was drafted, and not too stay and be notified, but to leav, so he left. Nowone new his  whereabouts, he left befor i was born. i never see my father till i was a year and 10 mos. old, then he came home,  then he moved to Homer from ther to Virgil, from ther to Genoa, from ther to Lionstown, from ther to  Phelphstown, then i was three years old. ther i had unkles and aunts. they took lots of pains to learn me to read,  and our nearist neightbor taught school and she always wood stop for me and my brother Rheuben and we went to  school. my aunts used to cut callicos and bast them for me to sew. They learnt me to knit and peast calicos before  i was five years old had knit me a pare of stokins, and i peast a bed quilt. There was a man that came to fathers,  that had been to Ohio. he praised the country up so much it give my father the Ohio fever. i can never forget how  he praised up the country. Well all that, ther was nothing to do but he must and wood come to Ohio. All that  mother could say was of no use, so he bargened with a man to take his place and let him hav a span of horses  harnes and a wagon and take his home providing he likt it when he rote bak, so i remember one morin early father  took his pak on his back, and started for Ohio. he had been gon only won week when mother got a letter from  father. it was a solum day to mother. he wrote to mother get redy as soon as posabel and come on for the ferther  he went the better he likt the plases. i remember well how sad we felt when mother parted with all her brothers  and sisters, but won sister she came with us. it was hard to leav all our aunts and unkels and all our cousins and  school maits and neighbors. it was a solum day to us all.

Well it was jest as winter set in. ther was a man by the name of Ealy drove the team till we met father. he was  intending to come out to Ohio to look and see for him self how he liket it. he put fathers wach in his poket. he told  mother he wood giv it to father when they should meat, but when he got wher father was he was home sik so he  went back and sed nothing a bout the wach, and he took a box of provisions. by this time it was geting cold, and  my brother Jereymiah was very sik. we drove on with the wagon till the sno got so deep that it was to deep to go  with a wagon, then father stopt and maid some runers and set the whels on them so we came on. our wagon was  covered with linen cloth that mother wove, we was very comfortabel only the babe was very sik till the first of  January then it was a very cold and stormy day. I was sik all day and the snow blew so that we could not see that  horses. father drove only six mils. he drove up to a tavern, and ask for entertanement. the landlord sed he was  prety full but he wood try to acomodate us. well we all got and went in. soon the hosler came in to see if he should  take care of the team and it was an awfull great black Negro. my brother an i was nearly fritend to deth. i thought  it was the devel. we caught hold of mother and screamd too the top of our vois. mother told father wee could not  stay ther so we all got in to the wagon and wen a mild ferther and put up for the nite. it was the first Negro i ever  saw and mother had alwase told us if wee don eny thing rong the black man wood cary us of se wee thought he  had come after us shure. wee told her wee hadent don eny thing and she tried the very best she could too make us  beiev that he was only a colerd man but it fritend us so see never could get over it.

Wee then came on day after day till we came to Cleveland. It was a small villeg. Wee stayd ther too days. mother  washt and don some cooking then we started on our jorney. The rode was throu the woods. it came rite up over  the hog back. wee all had too come up it a foot. aunt Maby went behind the sled and bloket the runers then we  came on till we got to Rokey river. ther we stopt father ses les us go bak us go bak we hav gone far enof, but  mother sed no, wee hav nothin too go bak too nor enything too go with and i never put my hand to the plow then  look bak. it was then father set down and gave vent to grief. he cried like a littel child but all he could say mother  woold never giv her consent too go bak so we came on too rigville senter. there we staid all night. there was a few  inhabitents. the sno begun too melt. we stayd all nite. the next day wee came to Elyria. there was a little log hut stood down at the east end of main street on the bank of the river. wee stopt there and mother got dinner. There  was Mister Eley and another man. they took dinner with us. then wee came up too wher the county house is now.  Mister Bacon lived near ther. wee stopt there, the snow was gone. it was the 14th of febuary in 1817 John Bacon  came. the fourteenth of the next year 1818 wee came. the snow had all gone. Mister Bacon perswaded father too  stay so he went too work a choping logs to bild a house too liv in or what is called the county farm. they soon got  logs enough for a house. they was redy too rais the house. it was a wildernes but ther was lots of indiens lived  hear. it was ther hunting grounds. when father raised his house the indiens came and ther squas. they all helpt rais  the house. they had a lot of fun. they wood hoop and hollow and laugh. mother had a three part kettel and she  maid it full pot pie out of venison. they all eat supper. it was fun for us children too hear the indians talk in ther  one language. when they got don eatin the indians wood say it is so good. every nite the wolve howld. There was  no mills short rokey river and it was very wet. the woods was full of water and wee had not had any bred for a  month or more. So Mister Bacon and my father took each of them a bag of corn on ther back and went to Rokey  river to mill. at noon it comenst to rain. it raind all nite, an the river was up full banks. there was no raft nor brig  too cros the west branch so ther was no other way but too swim so they puld of ther cloths and put ther cloths on  their sholders and ther bag of meal on top of them then they swam a crost the river.

Father got hold of some booshes and clim out then uncle John Bacon sed he never could get out of the river but  father got hold of his hand and helpt him out. they put on ther cloths and came home. the woolvs wer howling all  over the woods. Us children had gon too bed but wee all got up and mother soon sifted som meal and stired up a  cake and put it too bake.. when it was don it was cut in peases like you woold cut a pie then us children could hav  a peas. I tell you it was good as long as that meal lasted it was baket and servd round like a pi then unkel John sed  he never woold go ther too mill any more. there was a big oak stump rite before his dore so he went to work and  dug it out hollow like a larg bole and he then put up a sweep with a larg mall on the end. then he could pound  corn fine enough to make bred so then wee usd too go ther and pound corn so we had bred.

When we got the land cleard so he could rase corn wee had green corn and when it begam to be hard wee usd to  jount it of of a plane and mother wood boil it in a kettel all day then eat it with milk. wee used to call it hominy.  Wee maid lots of shugar. ther was lots of cramburreys and grape fox and frost grapes and the big blew grapes,  wild plumbs and about a mild and a half west of us there was a family lived. they chopt down a lot of trees and  burnt the brush and one mornin Mrs. Beach went too get the tea kettel and ther was a big rattel snake coild round  the kettel. A night or two after she woke up and she sed to Mister Beach ther is something by my bak that is cold  as ise. he ses lie still. he got the shears and cut her nite cloths of then he took her out of bed. it was a big yellow  rattel snake. so they left the plase. it grew up to briers. Wee ust too go ther and pik lots of blak berries and often  wee wod kill three of fore a day. one time my brother and i was pikin beris and wee herd the stiks snap. wee lookt  and ther was a big black bear. we screamd the bear run then we went a littel ferther there was a big rattel snake.  Ther was lots of rattel snakes woolvs and bear, wild cats and heg hogs coons posums and deer. I hav seen 8 or ten  deer running throu the wood too gether. the cattel ust too run in the woods, the horsflies was terabel bad for them  and musketos nats was bad.

The spring after i was seven mother lernt me to spin tow. i wasent tall enough to turn the wheal so they layd down  a big bloc, one at the hed of the wheal and the other at bak and then she layd a punchion bord for me to walk on.  that raisd me up so i could turn the rim. then i ust too hav too spin four nots of yarn a day. it wood take me all day  at first. mother used too card the roles in the evening and after i got so i wood get my s?ent don early then mother  wood ad too nots more and before the spring was gon i could spin ten nots and get it of in good seson. then she  lernt mee how to card tow and make my own rowls and when i had any leshur time i us to hav to was the dishes  and sweep and tend the babe. Ther was an indian baby born on the rige. it used to be cald punkin rige then and the  littel one was taken sik and it died. the old indien came after mother and she went over too the tent and father and  mother brought the little won too our house and mother drest it for the grave and Mister John Bacon maid the  coffin and mother laid the littel wone in the coffin. there was a lot of indians, Mister Bacon and his family and  ther was the Farr family came ther too see the littel wone and the old indien and the squa. they neald by the coffin  and mother prayd then the poor indien shook hands with all in the house. and he strapt the coffin on his bak and  he started for Sinduskey with a basket of provishon in his hand. it was a solum day. the mother and littel boy stayd  with us till the old indien returned. it was a solum day as i ever saw. it was the first deth that had ben in Carlisle.  When the old indien returned he sed he travild on til night then he set the littel coffin down and laid him self  down, his bed clost by the coffin and rested till morning then he went on. he sed ther was indiens ther that dug the  grave and burid his littel babe. I can never forget how they wept when they met. when he got back they stayd too  our house all night then they went too ther tents, it was a lonesome day. the indiens use too go rite by our house in  the spring when they went to Cleveland in drovs thirty or forty in a drove one rite after the other, the young  indiens was stropt on the poneys bak. ther was an old squaw had a littel babe on a bord. she carid it on her back/ when she got to Cleveland she set the littel on up by the dore of the store and went in. Ther was an old sow took  the child and run and before they could get too her she had killed it and torn it to peases. they tied it up in a  blanket and carid it too Sinduskey for buriel. the hole tribe went. it was bout the time they went for the sumer too  plant corn. they stayd there till fall then they would come bak. It wasent long before the white peopel began too  settel in too town of Elyria. Mister Ely and Mister Sylvester Cooly bilt a small store. Mister A. Beebe came and  he bilt a tavern.

Ther was lots of travel. peopel going west. i think it was in 1821 that Mister Musey came. he had three sons. he  had taken up the tract of land now cald Carlile and ther was three plases improved. it was John Bacon and father's  and Burton Wate. they had maid some improve ments. Musey wanted the plases for his three sons so he gave  them ther chois any wher they likt on his reserv so they all went in too the woods agane. whilst we lived on our  first plase wee hav had meny moore as stay at our house as wee was a wa from the rod. the rods was just the  underbrush cut and the small trees cut so that they could go throu with a wagon or sled. father us too pull of his  corn when it was ripe and put it in a wagon and draw it in the barn then the indiens wood come in the evening and  help husk it out and when he was clearing land when he got the brush burnt he usto make a bee and the indiens  wood come and help role the logs intoo piles so he could burn it up. they never was a hard word.

It was all peas till the white setlers began to settel in pretty fast then some of the men from rigevill and Elyria  came and told them that they must leav or ther was a armey of men coming to kill all ther horses and them too if  they dident go. ther was an old indien and his squaw and ther boy that lost ther babie came to our house. his name  was walis. they stayd all night, they bid us good by shook hands with us and left. they never came bak eny more.  wee mis them for wee usto go up too ther tents and see them dres ther skins and make mogisons and mittins. they  usto trim ther mogisons with heg hogs quills but they all left. wee never see them eny more. it dident seem rit too  drive them of.

I remember whilst they was hear one nite it raind awful hard. the fier blased up. it wok mother up. she look too  see what it was and mother wok father. she sees there is some won on the herth an father lookt. he ses John is that  you. he ses ha ha. he ses it rains the wig wam leaks, befour monin ther was a dosen or more that com in. they eat  brekfast then they all left. they was kind. they never offerd too hurt eny wone. they had the best rite and it seemed  hard that the white peopel should drive them of.

Wee had been hear fore years before ther was a chool then father swapt his plase for wone on the laport rode. ther  was a chool over the river wher the White mill is. harriet how taught the sumer and Elishew Cooley taught the  winter chool. Wee had too go too mils too chool. it was a treat too me too go to chool for i hadent ben too chool  since wee left our home in York State and i was nine years old. when it got very cold wee had to stay at home so  wee dident get much choolin. when i was eleven ther was a chool started in Carlile. it was not far from wher the  chool house is now and teacher borded at our house. his name was John Northrum. then wee us too have too miles  and a half. then we us too hav to cros the river on the ise. The next spring my brother henry and i was going home  from chool and as was going throu the woods ther was too big gray woolvs came intoo the path before us. wee  thought it was Abel Farrs dogs. he had won he kept a bras ring round his nek. wee thought he had got another gest  lik his so he had taken the ring of so as too have them look alike. wee was pleased. wee thought that Mister Farr  was at our hous so we cald them and whiseld for bose, we offered them som of our dinner. they woold cros the  path before us---first won way then bak a number of times. Wee still thought they was dogs. When wee came near  the fence they went out a littel ways and wee got over the fence and we cald them they came up too the fence put  ther feet up on the fens they stuk ther nose up and howld. it was then that wee new what they was. i tell you if our  feet ever done us any good it was then. mother herd them howl. it fritened her. she was shure they had caut us. she  run out too see and she see us coming. she set down on the ground with a thankful heart. when wee came up  mother put her arms a round us and she sees i thought i never should see you eny more. and when we told her that  we cald them and that wee ofered them some of our dinner she sed if wee had ben afraid of them they woold  shurly of kild us but mother sed the lord be blest he is wise in all his purposes.

Well the next fall father had too take his old plase in Carlile back but the fall befour wee moved my oldest sister  and i wee came over too Mister Frost too see ther girl. Wee stayd till the sun was nearly down then wee started for  home and it grew dark fast for it was all the way woods an wee hurid along and the rode had only ben run out and  some of the small trees cut out and the larg wons was what they cald blasd. the bark was hewd of a spot on won  side so they could tell wher to go then it was left. Ther had ben some larg trees fell acrost the rode and it had  grown up too weeds, the path that wee had out too hav taken turnd of on just as wee rased the hill from the fuley,  but in our hurey wee mist it and followed the rode wee us to call the girdell rode.

When i found that i had mist the path i derst not go bak too look for it. the woolvs began to howl and sister louisa  began to cry but i told her too stop the woolvs wood hear her and come after us. and it got so dark. when i came  too a big log i set her on the log and went too the root of the tree then come wher sister was then take her on my  bak and go on. i was nearly fritend too deth but wee came out rite wher they was bilding a cort house, ther wasent  but a few families lived in Elyria then but i went intoo a mister porters too see if i could get a lantern but they  dident hav eny. She sed i could get won too Doctor butlers so wee went ther and wee went in. the doctor set ther  and his wife too. the doctor laft and ses you are out late but it was some time befire i could tell what i wanted but  when i ask too borow the lantern he sed that he could not sparit for he might hav to go a wa and he wood want too  go and get his horse. He sed that they wood nothing toch us. he had ben throu ther lots of times and nothine hurt  him. his wife wonted him to go with us but he sed they wont anything toch you. We went. the woolvs was howlin  all throu the woods. it was a mild an a half but wee got home and the doctor woold laf at mee for being a frade all  ways.

Whilst wee lived on the county farm John Bacon and father went too the falls wone hot sumer day to shoot rattel  snakes. they sed they lay ther in piles as big as a half bushel. i don't remember how many they sed they kild but it  was a big number and Mister Ely told the Farr boys if they would cach a rattel snake and not have it bite him self  and bring it too him alive he wood give them a half doller so Abel Farr caught the snake and took it too Mister  Eley and he took the snake and laid it out strate on a big log fasten his tale and his hed so he could not stur then  Mister Ely got down on his nees and bit the snake from his hed to the tale along the bak too pre serv his teeth, he  sed some won told him that it wood keep them from decayin but i could not say whether it did or not. Well father  mooved bak on the old farm it is now calld the squiers farm too liv. ther wee had the fever and ago (ague), it was  all i could doo too stand on my feet.

The winter after i was twelv fathers house was burnt and when wee all got out of dors began to snow. they carid  water from the crik and trid ther very best too put out the fier but was of no use and when it was all burnt down  then mother told father he had better take the flax out of the crib so she could put the beds in ther so the children  could go to bed but old Mister Obed Gibbs sed no you wont. you will go to my house. you wood all fres too deth.  then they lookt for my cloths but they must have been dropt when they carid out the beds and they was burnt so i  had not eny thing too put on and wee dident have nite dresis too sleep in as they doo now. i had nothing by my  shirt on so mother took a littel yard blanket that she had round the babe and pind it round my wast. then the snow  was ankel deep. i had no shoes nor stokin. i took my sister on my bak and went over too Mister Gibbses. and Mis  ransom Gibs sed mother had better let me go over too her house and stay for ther wasent so meney comin in at her  house so i went and ther i set for three weeks in the corner without any cloths on and took care of mothers babe  whilst she went up too Mister Bacsons too weave som cloth too make me a dres on. father was cutting logs too  bild us a house too liv in. as soon as he got it rasd the rof on and floor laid down wee went intoo it and mother got  cloth enough wove too make mee a dres, the fillin was spun out of blak sheeps wool and wove on too white coten  warp. i tell you i was proud of it. i never had a dres that i was so proud of before nor since.

When wee went in our house mother would set up nits till mid nite kep fier too keep us warm, then father woold  get up and keep fier. he wood chink up the craks in betwen the logs whilst wee slep. it was very cold. the next fall  father sold his house and he took nots and then he moved on too a farm that he took to work near rigville line and  he stayed ther a year and then bought a place in Florance. i was out too work. father stayd ther till the man that  bout his plase died then father had too take his farm bak and i was too work out all the time unles our folks was  sik. i never lived at fathers nor had a pena's work only what i workt out and earnt. After i was thirteen years old i  worket sumers too get my cloths and save money enought to pay my chool bill then i would find a plase too bord  wher they woold let me work for my bord and go too chool. father had a larg family with out mee. I usto get  seventy five cents a week. that was all that eny girl could get a week for dooing hous work and had to pay forty  sents for a yard of white cotten cloth or calico. if i spun tow fillin i usto have too card and spin thirty nots for a  rols so as too gane time then i could spin too run. then i could gane one day in three if i spun linen. i had too spin  thirty nots for a day's work. and if i spun wool roles i had too spin too run of fillin or thirty nots of warp and they  wood bord mee. i only got sevnty five sents a week and wee thought wee was dooing well. sometimes by working  early and late i could mak ten shillings a week but wee had too work hard and stedy. I had a chance too see a  great differance in folks for i workt out for seven years.

i met with a great meny difrent dispotions too get along with but i found that evry won had some faling or other  too get along with. well i thought if others have ther faling i must have some too. and it mite be that it was wors  for them too get along with than thers was for mee, so i would let it go and try too bear it as well as i could.  sometimes when i woold go home too see mother i woold tell mother that no girl of my age had too work so hard  as i did but mother always wood hav some good advise for me. but as years rold on i could see that every won rich or poor had ther throubels.

Time past on, when i was seventeen i was too work for Mister Ebineser Griffith in the bording house in Elyria.  there was a camp meting and i went. it was ther that i was convinst that wee was not our own keepers and learnt  too trust the lord for he noes best what is for our good. and from that day as time past i have found the lord a  presant help in evry time of need. In 1830 that winter i went too chool and in spring it was April the 11 in the year  1831 i was marid to Loell Farr. then i stayd at fathers two weeks then we went to his unkels. ther wee stayd too  months then wee hiered a room of his cosin and went to keeping house. my brother made me a bed sted and wee  got three kichin chairs a set of plats, six was called a set and six cups and sausers, 6 nives and forks, 6 tee spoons  and three larg spoons and 3 bole and two or three dishes too put vituals on and a tea citel a dish ketel a spider and  som pans and a stone churn. it al cost us 12 dollars. And ther was a man had a peas of land he sold my husband.  he sold us and took Mister Farrs nots and gave him a deed of the land. wee bought us a cow. Mister Farr had a  yoke of oxen, we went rite intoo the woods and went too work and cut logs too bild a house on, and the last day  of August wee had got our house up and the roof on and a hole cut for the dore and windo and half of the under  floer laid. and wee moved in too it with out any dore or windo or chimney but wee had our health. i took in  washing and sowing. my husband was choping and he cleard of and sowd three akers of wheat. i sowed and  bought three hens. i raised 30 chickens and i raisd a calf. the next spring i got some gees eggs set them under a  hen. i rasd then nine goslins.

January 27 Eliza C. Farr was born. The woolvs yous too howl all most evry nite. Mister Farr youse to set traps  and he caught lots of them. and he kild lots of dear and rack coon and foxes, squirels and wild cats and blak bear.  He chopt and cleard of four or five akers that winter for corn. it was the happyest day of our life. i had a curly  chest that i took the lid and lay it on a salt beril that served for a tabel. wee bord holes in the logs and we laid  bords on them too put our dishes on and wee had a water bench the saim way. i use too milk the cow and feed the  hog. Well when Mister Farr got his log heeps burnt then he yous too scrape up the ashes intoo heeps then in the  eavning i wold get the babe too sleep and i wold go and help him carey them too the ash house. and when he got a  hundred or two bushels then he wood put them in too a leach and when he got them wet down a and got the  caldron ketel full and got it too boiling then i woold take my baby and my work and go and stay ther and put  water on the leach and bild up the fier whilst i got his diner and then i could ten it til night whilst Mister Farr was  choping down the big trees too clear the land. when wee had got 6 or 7 hundred pounds of blak salts he woold  cary too Elyria and get 3 or 4 dolars a hundred for it. the money was saved too pay for the land. And there was a  bounty on woolvs, a state bounty 8 dolars and a county bounty was 12 dolars. and throu the winter he yous to trap  for woolvs. he wood cach som three or four in the winter and the money saved for too pay for our home. the  wheat he yous to cradel it and bind it by hand and mow his gras with a sithe and rake it with a hand rake.

In 1837 we lost wone of our children. she was shokt by litning. it was a hevy blow too us. time past along not  without cares and hard labor till in 1840 then Mister Farr had just got his hayin and harvistin don when he was  taken sik with the sinken tipos feever and he came very near dying. wee had three littel girls and wee was three  quarters of a mile from a neighbor. it was hard for me. for five weeks i never layd down on the bed. i usto set by  the bed and hold his hand in mine. if he mooved it woold wake me then i would give his medison. i thout he  woold die. tell you it was a terabel time. My sister stayd with me nits but she wasent abel too set up nits and i  darsent trust enywon too set up alone with my husband he was so sik. one nite my sister told her husband he must  set up. he sed if i wod go to bed he wood. and he promis too wach him carful and not let him over sleep. he took  the directions too giv the medison and he took the wach and set down. itgot on the bak side of the bed. ittook my  husbands hand in mine and i soon was a sleep. in a short time he maid a stranglin nois. i sprung on too the floor  and he was gone to all apearance but i put some brandy in his mouth and rubed him. after a while he catt his breth  and with care he got well. i tell you i dident leav him agane till the doctor sed he was out of danger. And when he  got so that he could walk out of the doer with a cane he sed the little girl mite cary a chare out too a shok of corn.  he could husk a half of a bushel for too feed the hogs and he did but he blistered his hands so that he could not do  enything for some days. and the 3 of October wee had another girl and she was all ways a littel sikley child till she  was a woman grown. sins then her health is better.

(At the end of the autobiography is a list of the names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Lowell Farr. They are  Rosalie, Eliza, Hannah, Perssis, Phoebe, Ephraim, Lowell, Lauren, Bird and there was another baby girl who died. Mrs. Farr's brothers were Reuben, Henry and Jeramiah and her sister was Louisa.)

CENSUS: Living with her son Lauren.

Marriage Notes:

CENSUS: The census taker must of heard "Joel" instead of "Lowell" when registering this family.

They had the following children.

  F i Eliza "Betsy" FARR was born on 27 Jan 1832. She died on 1 May 1908.
  F ii Polly Rosalia FARR was born on 28 Oct 1833. She died on 5 Apr 1908.
  F iii Hannah Marie FARR was born on 10 Feb 1835. She died on 27 May 1912.
  F iv
Laura L. FARR was born 1 on 9 Mar 1837 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States. She died 2 on 30 Jul 1839. She was buried 3 in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio, United States.
  F v Percis A. FARR was born on 3 Oct 1840. She died on 30 Nov 1926.
  F vi
Betsey FARR was born 1 in 1841 in Ohio, United States.
  M vii Lowell Lovell "Lute" FARR was born on 23 May 1843. He died on 11 Feb 1922 from of heart trouble.
  M viii Ephriam FARR was born on 13 Oct 1846. He died on 20 Aug 1914.
  F ix
Phebe Loretta FARR was born 1, 2 on 30 Oct 1850 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States. She died 3 on 19 May 1872. She was buried 4 in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio, United States.

Phebe resided 5 in 1860 in Eaton, Lorain, Ohio, United States.
  M x Lauren Alonzo FARR was born on 2 Jan 1855. He died on 5 Feb 1940.
  M xi William Bird FARR was born on 6 Aug 1858. He died on 22 Feb 1919.

Philemon FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 20 Jan 1808 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States. He died 3, 4, 5 on 5 Feb 1893 in Nelson, Buffalo, Wisconsin, United States. He was buried 6 in Nelson, Buffalo, Wisconsin, United States. Philemon married 7 Susanna GREENSLIT on 2 Nov 1828 in Lorain, Ohio, United States.

Other marriages:
HOLFORD, Polly Louesa

Susanna GREENSLIT was born 1 in 1809 in Vermont, United States. She died 2 in 1863 in Wisconsin, United States. She was buried 3 in Bangor, La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States. Susanna married 4 Philemon FARR on 2 Nov 1828 in Lorain, Ohio, United States.

They had the following children.

  M i Philemon FARR was born on 28 Dec 1836. He died on 22 Jun 1910.
  M ii Philander FARR was born in Feb 1839. He died in 1926.
  M iii Otis Smith FARR was born in Aug 1842. He died on 24 Jul 1933.
  M iv
Fidelus FARR [scrapbook] was born 1 in 1843 in Geauga, Ohio, United States. He died 2 on 12 Dec 1864 in Salisbury, Rowan, North Carolina, United States. He was buried 3 in Salisbury, Rowan, North Carolina, United States.

Fidelus resided 4 in 1850 in Chester, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States.

Pvt Co C 36th Wisconsin Infantry
Enlisted Feb 1864 in Burns, Wisconsin. Captured at Reams Station and sent to Salisbury Prison where he died from disease.
1868 Roll of Honor XIV #1037 as (Phidussa Farrington) s/b Corp. Phidelus Farr Pvt Co C 36th Wisconsin Infantry
  F v
Millissa S. FARR was born about 1849 in Ohio, United States.

Millissa resided 1 in 1850 in Chester, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States.

Philemon FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 20 Jan 1808 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States. He died 3, 4, 5 on 5 Feb 1893 in Nelson, Buffalo, Wisconsin, United States. He was buried 6 in Nelson, Buffalo, Wisconsin, United States. Philemon married Polly Louesa HOLFORD about 1863 in Wisconsin, United States.

Other marriages:

Polly Louesa HOLFORD was born in May 1818 in Ohio, United States. She died on 5 Nov 1898 in Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. She was buried on 8 Nov 1898 in Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States. Polly married Philemon FARR about 1863 in Wisconsin, United States.

Kimball FARR [Parents] was born 1 in 1799 in of Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States. Kimball married 2 Ruth GREGORY on 6 Sep 1826 in Portage, Ohio, United States.

Ruth GREGORY was born 1 about 1797 in Kentucky, United States. Ruth married 2 Kimball FARR on 6 Sep 1826 in Portage, Ohio, United States.

Other marriages:
FRENCH, Alpheus Jr.

They had the following children.

  F i
Percis FARR 1 was born 2 about 1837 in Carlisle Township, Lorain, Ohio, United States.
  M ii Kimball FARR was born about 1842.

Judge Thomas ROBERTS was born 1 on 24 Mar 1816 in Wales, United Kingdom. He died 2 on 1 Aug 1892 in Kansas, United States. He was buried 3 in Osawatomie, Miami, Kansas, United States. Thomas married 4 Clarinda FARR on 11 Dec 1838 in Kirtland, Geauga, Ohio, United States.

Thomas resided 5 in 1850 in Chester, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States. He resided 6 in 1860 in Ossawattomie, Lykins, Kansas Territory, United States. He resided 7 in 1870 in Osawatomie, Miami, Kansas, United States. He resided 8 in 1880 in Stanton, Miami, Kansas, United States.

Taken from William G. Cutler's "History of the State of Kansas" printed in, 1883: "Judge Thomas Roberts, farmer, Section 4, Township 18, Range 22, P.O. Osawatomie, is one of the few remaining pioneers of Lykins County (now Miami) of 1855. He was born in Wales, March 23, 1816. Emigrated to the United States in 1835, and made his home in New York at first, subsequently moved to Ohio and from there to Wisconsin Territory (then a wilderness) in 1841. In July, 1855, he came to Kansas and made a claim on Section 8, Township 18, Range 22, now Osawatomie. He was a pronounced Free-state man and participated in the turbulent times of 1855, '56 and '57. At one time his house was raided by a party of Pro-slavery men while he was on his sick bed. They took him out telling him they had come to kill him. He disdained to make any plea for his life, but simply remarked, "Well kill me then." For some reason they decided that they had made a mistake, concluding he was not a regular Yankee, left him in peace. In 1859 he was elected Probate Judge of Lykins County (Miami) in the first territorial election and served two years. He was elected to the State Senate in 1861, to fill a vacancy, and served as a member of the Court of Impeachment of State officers, in 1862. In 1864 he was elected Clerk of the Discrict Court and served two years. In 1866 he was elected County Attorney, and served one term. During the late war he held a Captain's commission in the Fifth Kansas Militia. His son Thomas, was a member of the Tenth Kansas Volunteers and served three years. Judge Roberts was married in Kirtland, Ohio, December 10, 1838, to Miss Clarinda, daughter of Abel Farr. Mrs. Roberts was born in Elyria City, Lorain Co., Ohio and was the first white child born in that county. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts had six children, five of whom are living-Sarah A., wife of C. M. Stevens, of Montgomery County, Kas.; Thomas F., married and living in Stanton Township, Miami County; Abelliza, wife of William West, of Montgomery County, Kas.; Flora, wife of James Mullens, of Osage Township, Miami County; Belle, wife of Robert Mullens, of Stanton, Kas. Judge Roberts has 480 acres of land in Miami County and settled in his present home in 1857."

Taken from "Kansas Biographical Dictionary, 1879":
THOMAS ROBERTS was born in North Wales, March 23, 1816, butwas reared in Liverpool, England. His father was a farmer and his parents were in moderate circumstances. Left without resources, save his energy, judgment and fact, he has risen to positions of honor and respectability. At the age of eighteen, as an adventurer, he emigrated from England and settled in America,taking up his abode in New York City. At the expiration of nearly two years here moved to Geauga county, Ohio, and began operations as a tailor, in which he continued about five years. In the fall of 1841 he removed to Burlington,Racine count, Wisconsin, where he lived four years as a farmer. In 1845 he again changed his residence and located in Dodge county, and for ten years pursued the life of a farmer in that locality. In 1855 he removed to Kansas, settled near Osawatomie, took a claim, opened a farm,and in 1857 pre-empted the land. On this spot he has since resided to the present time, and has one of the most fertile and best appointed farms in Miami county. In 1859 he was elected the first probate judge of Miami county, under the state organization, entering upon the duties of his office in April, 1861,on the admission of the State into the Union. This office he held until 1863. In 1862 he was elected a state senator from Miami county, and served during his term. He was elected clerk of the district court in 1864. Having been admitted to the bar in 1861, and practiced his profession, he was elected county attorney in 1866. He continued in the practice of law until 1877, when he retired from the profession. For the last eight or nine years he has been interested in a saw and grist mill near Osawatomie, and has from his first settlement in Kansas, conducted extensive farming operations.

For a number of years he has been connected with the Masonic order, and is a Master Mason. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and was for two terms Master of Mound Valley Grange No. 185. He was also for several years an active member of the Union League. His religious training was under the auspices of the Episcopal church, but at the age of twenty he changed his views, and was for ten years a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. On account of his anti-slavery views he quit that denomination, and became a member of the Wesleyan Methodist organization, in which connection he remained as long as there was an organized church in Miami county. Always an anti-slavery man, he was a pioneer in the Liberty party, afterward a Free Soiler, and subsequently a Republican, but has for six years been identified with the Reform movement.

He was married in Kirtland, Ohio, in December, 1838, to Miss Clarinda Farr, a native of Ohio and the first white child born in Elyria, Lorain county; a lady well educated and accomplished. They have had ten children, six of whom survive. These six are all married and in prosperous Circumstances. His only son, Thomas F. Roberts, is a leading farmer in Miami county; served gallantly in the 10th Kansas Volunteers for three years, entering the army at the age of nineteen, and after participating in the battles of Prairie Grove, Cane Hill and other engagments, was honorably discharged. His five daughters are married to worthy citizensfour reside in Miami county and one lives in the State of Oregon.  

Judge Roberts was among the most useful, active free state men in the early Kansas struggle. Was a member of Captain W. W. Updegraff’s company and marched to the defense of Lawrence, but was recalled on account of the Pottawatomie massacre. He was personally and intimately acquainted with Captain John Brown, of Harper's Ferry fame. At the time of the burning of Osawatomie he resided two miles west of the village, and on the advance of the border ruffians his house was the first ransacked and robbed. He himself was surrounded by twenty of the enemy and captured; his life was threatened, but by shrewd management he escaped. Three times afterward the ruffians returned with the determination to take his life, his wife and children escaping to the forest for safety. He was among the first to secure the bodies of John Brown's son, Frederick, and young Garrison, and give the remains decent interment. Before, during, and after the war he was among the most energetic in putting down "jay-hawking," which was but another name for stealing. Few men did more to establish freedom in Kansas than he. Near Osawatornie, happily spending the evening of his days in comfort and satisfaction, under the institutions he contributed so much to establish, he still resides.

Clarinda FARR [Parents] was born 1 on 15 Sep 1817 in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio, United States. She died 2 on 20 Jan 1894 in Independence, Montgomery, Kansas, United States. She was buried 3 in Osawatomie, Miami, Kansas, United States. Clarinda married 4 Judge Thomas ROBERTS on 11 Dec 1838 in Kirtland, Geauga, Ohio, United States.

Clarinda resided 5 in 1850 in Chester, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States. She resided 6 in 1860 in Ossawattomie, Lykins, Kansas Territory, United States. She resided 7 in 1870 in Osawatomie, Miami, Kansas, United States. She resided 8 in 1880 in Stanton, Miami, Kansas, United States.

BIRTH: Birth calculated from age at death on Monument. Find A Grave had 10 Oct 1817 but I don't agree.

Amasa Robert PAYNE 1 was born 2 on 7 May 1837 in Euclid, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States. He died 3 on 8 Dec 1901 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States. Amasa married 4 Betsy Aurelia FARR on 2 Feb 1878 in Portage, Ohio, United States.

Betsy Aurelia FARR [Parents] was born 1 on 12 Apr 1855 in Stillwater, Michigan, United States. She died 2 on 18 Mar 1915 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States. She was buried on 20 Mar 1915 in Euclid, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States. Betsy married 3 Amasa Robert PAYNE on 2 Feb 1878 in Portage, Ohio, United States.

Betsy resided 4 in 1860 in Mantua, Portage, Ohio, United States. She resided 5 in 1900 in Euclid Township (south half), Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States. She resided 6 in 1910 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States.

Harrison McKinley ROSS Sr was born 1, 2 on 13 Sep 1893 in Blairsville, Indiana, Pennsylvania, United States. He died 3 on 10 Apr 1953 in Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. He was buried on 12 Apr 1953 in Riverview Cemetery, Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. Harrison married Sadie Eldena FARR in 1919.

Harrison resided 4 in 1930 in Warren Township, Trumbull, Ohio, United States.

Sadie Eldena FARR [Parents] was born 1 on 28 Jul 1900 in Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio, United States. She died 2 on 25 Nov 1957 in Chatham, Georgia, United States. Sadie married Harrison McKinley ROSS Sr in 1919.

Sadie resided 3 in 1930 in Warren Township, Trumbull, Ohio, United States.

Needham H. PARRISH was born about 1900 in South Carolina, United States. He died 1 on 25 Feb 1998 in Chatham, Georgia, United States. Needham married Georgie Adele FARR.

Needham resided 2 in 1940 in Savannah, Chatham, Georgia, United States.

Georgie Adele FARR [Parents] 1 was born on 23 Jul 1906 in Ohio, United States. She died 2 on 30 Aug 1973 in Chatham, Georgia, United States. Georgie married Needham H. PARRISH.

Georgie resided 3 in 1920 in Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. She resided 4 in 1940 in Savannah, Chatham, Georgia, United States.

Asa Boyd FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 1 Apr 1911 in Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. He died 3, 4 on 9 Sep 2000 in Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. He was buried 5 in North Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. Asa married Mary Olive YOUNGBLOOD about 1930.

Asa resided 6 in 1920 in Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States.

Mary Olive YOUNGBLOOD was born 1 on 8 Sep 1907 in Pike, Alabama, United States. She died 2 on 1 Dec 1977 in Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. She was buried 3 in North Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, United States. Mary married Asa Boyd FARR about 1930.

Mary resided 4 in 1930 in Brundidge, Pike, Alabama, United States.

They had the following children.

  F i Olive Joann FARR was born on 11 Apr 1931. She died on 2 Sep 2007.
  F ii Ada E. "Betty" FARR.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index