Abraham ANDERSON was born 1 on 18 Aug 1709 in Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States. He died 2 on 25 Dec 1768 in Windham Center, Cumberland, Maine, United States. Abraham married Bathshua FARR in 1732 in Massachusetts, United States.
"Windham Book - p.28"
Deacon Abraham Anderson - 1st Generation on Farm
Deacon Abraham (?) Anderson, Fifth Settler in New Marblehead, Mass.,
Now Windham, Maine, was born Aug.18th, 1708 or 1709, in Groton, Mass.
he settled on Home Lot No.36, on the first Main, now River Road, in
1738. He first built where the little graveyard at the foot of the
orchard is, but for some reason, moved across the street, below the
barns, in what we now call the "little field". He built the first
house, and his was the first family located on the first highway laid
out in the Plantation, living there nearly two years before another
family moved nearer than on the Presumpscot river bank.
It is evident from records of New Marblehead, that he was a man of
more than ordinary force of character, and executive ability. From
the beginning of the settlement until his death, he took a leading
part in the Plantation affairs. In proof of this, and his
intrepidity, the following extract is adduced from the Centennial
Address delivered at Windham Hill, July 4, 1839, by Thos.L.Smith. "On
the morning of May 11, 1756, Ezra Brown and Ephraim Winship left the
Fort to labor on Brown's lot, about a mile to the northeast. They were
accompanied by a guard of four men and four boys, Brown and Winship
being in advance. In the thickest part of the woods, they were fired
upon by a body of fifteen or twenty Indians who lay in ambush. The
Indians were of the Rockamecook tribe, and commanded by their King
Poland. Brown was shot dead; Winship received two balls and fell to
the ground, when both were scalped.
Upon hearing the report of the guns, half of the guard returned to the
Fort. Anderson, Manchester and two boys, Winship and Cloudman,
determined to pursue the Indians and avenge the blood of their fallen
companions or perish in the attempt. Accordingly, this little band of
heroes, cheered on by the voice of Anderson, calling out, "Follow on,
my lads," gallantly pressed on the track. Poland concealed behind a
tree, discharged his musket at Anderson without effect; in his
eagerness to reload, he exposed his body to Manchester, who was about
thirty feet to Anderson's right, when Manchester instantly leveled his
musket, took deadly aim and fired. The Indians instantly gathered
round their fallen chieftain, and made the woods resound with their
infernal yells, to which our little band of Spartans replied by giving
them the contents of their muskets. Two more Indians were mortally
wounded. The remaining Indians filed away, carrying their dead and
wounded, but leaving behind five packs, a bow, bunch of arows and
several other things." My father, (John F. Anderson) has the musket
with which Poland was shot. This was in the lower corner of the
"upper pasture". The following extract from pages 1 and 2 of the old
records indicates Mr. Anderson's recognized standing in the
town:---Pursuant to a warrant directed to Mr. Abraham Anderson,
principal inhabitant in this Plantation, called New Marblehead, by
Enoch Freeman, Esq., one of his Majesty's justices of the peace for
County Cumberland, under his hand and seal, directing the freeholders
and inhabitants to assemble and meet at the usual place, on Monday the
22nd, day of March, at ten o'clock in the forenoon, to choose needful
officers in said plantation to assess County tax for the year 1762.
Voted &c. On June 12 of the same year the town was incorporated and at
the first town-meeting held in the old fort, July 5, 1762, Abraham
Anderson was first chosen Moderator and then Town Treasurer. Next year
he was one of the selectmen and again in 1768 and 1769. He was chosen
the town's first Representative for the General Court, then held in
Boston, for the years 1767 and 1768. He was Town Clerk in 1766, '67,
'68 and '69, the year of his death.
The old fort above mentioned, was situated between the Anderson house
and Rev. Peter T. Smith's house, on the right side going up the hill.