Ancestors of Tim Farr and Descendants of Stephen Farr Sr. of Concord, Massachusetts and Lidlington, Bedfordshire, England

Enoch FARR Sr. [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 28 Dec 1845 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States. He died 4, 5 on 30 Jun 1914 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He was buried 6 on 2 Jul 1914 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Enoch married 7, 8 Esther MYERS on 27 Sep 1883 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Other marriages:
EGGLESTON, Mary Elizabeth

One of first seven presidents 76th quorum seventies; Oct. 1884 was ordained high priest; missionary to Sandwich Islands 1884-1887; was president of that mission and superintendent of the Laei plantation. Fruit grower; cement and general contractor.

Esther MYERS [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 12 Mar 1854 in Burnley, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom. She died 3 on 1 Jul 1935 in Randall, Weber, Utah, United States. She was buried 4 on 3 Jul 1935 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Esther married 5, 6 Enoch FARR Sr. on 27 Sep 1883 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Esther resided 7 in 1861 in Burnley, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom.

They had the following children.

  M i Thomas Bramley Underwood FARR was born on 14 Apr 1877. He died on 29 Nov 1953.

John Henry SMITH [scrapbook] was born 1 on 18 Sep 1848 in Carbunca, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States. He died 2 on 13 Oct 1911 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He was buried 3 on 17 Oct 1911 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. John married 4 Sarah FARR on 20 Oct 1866.

LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, Andrew Jenson, Vol. 1, p.141
Smith, John Henry, a member of the Council of Twelve Apostles since 1880, is the son of Pres. Geo. A. Smith and Sarah Ann Libby, and was born at Carbunca, near Kanesville (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie county, Iowa, Sept. 18, 1848. His grandfather, Patriarch John Smith, was one of the seven sons of Asahel and Mary Smith. His mother was the daughter of Nathaniel Libby (and Tirzah Lord), who was the son of Captain Charles Libby (and Sarah Pray), who was the son of Charles Libby (and Abigail Hilton), who was the son of Deacon Benjamin Libby (and Sarah Stone), who was the son of John Libby and Agnes. John was the son of John Libby, the immigrant, who was born in England, about the year 1602, came to America in 1630, and was employed for a number of years at Scarborough, Maine. At the time of John Henry's birth his parents were fleeing before the bigotry and intolerance of their countrymen. In 1847 his father came with the Pioneers to Great Salt Lake valley, returned to the Missouri river the same fall, and went to work to prepare for the removal of his family to Utah. June 22, 1849, he started with his family for his new home in the mountains and reached Salt Lake City, Oct. 27, 1849. John Henry's mother, who had been an invalid for years, died June 12. 1851, of consumption. The boy was then put into the care of his mother's sister, Hannah Maria, who was also his father's wife. To her he owes very largely the success he has attained so far in life. She was an industrious, high-spirited woman, ever ambitious to be advancing in everything that was good. Her faith in the gospel was as firm as the rocks. At that time she had a son of her own, Charles Warren, four months younger than the subject of this sketch. The father was absent from home when John Henry's mother died. In July, 1852, his father moved his wives Lucy and Hannah to Provo, and here John Henry lived under the [p.142] watchcare of two good Christian mothers, who both tried her best to guard him and keep him in the path of honor. His father's family were at that time widely scattered, some resided in Salt Lake City others in Provo, and some in Parowan. The head of the family spent but a very small portion of his time at home, the duties of his Apostleship demanding almost his entire attention. The schools in these days were poor, but an effort was made to give each child as good an education as possible. Sept. 18, 1856, John Henry was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by his father. His grandfather, Patriarch John Smith, gave him an inspired patriarchal blessing, Jan. 18, 1852, which has been the guiding star of his subsequent life. He attended school at Provo and Salt Lake City, and obtained a moderately good education for the times. While residing at Provo, he had a very miraculous escape from drowning in the Provo river during the very high water of 1862. On June 8th, of that year, he, together with Thomas and George M. Brown, were crossing the river in a small boat which capsized; John Henry became entangled in some driftwood and was kept under water for some time. People who were standing on the shore had given him up for lost, when suddenly an unseen power seemed to lift him bodily onto the bank. It was afterwards learned that at that very time his father had become forcibly impressed with the feeling that his son was in extreme danger, and he went and robed himself in his Priestly apparel and prayed the Lord to save his son, which was done in the manner named. Oct. 20, 1866, John Henry married Sarah Farr, daughter of Lorin Farr and Nancy Chase, of Ogden. After their marriage the young couple moved to Provo, where John Henry worked as telegraph operator. Some time during the summer of 1867 he was chosen by Bishop W. A. Follet, in connection with H. C. Rodgers, to be his counselor, and aid him in the government of the Fourth Ward, Provo. He remained in this position until the time the Pacific Railroad was nearly completed, when he left Provo and hired out to Benson, Farr and West, aiding them in the building of two hundred miles of the Central Pacific Railway. When this work was completed, he was offered a good situation in Sacramento, Cal., by Governor Leland Stanford, but his father requested him to come home to Salt Lake City and labor with them. This he did and spent a number of years in his employ. During the session of the Territorial legislature of 1872, John Henry was assistant clerk of the house of representatives; he also acted as assistant clerk in the Constitutional convention. Among the members were George Q. Cannon, Frank Fuller, Thomas Fitch and many others of all shades of faith. A constitution was drafted and adopted, having a minority representation clause in it. John Henry traveled in various parts of the Territory with his father, and by this means became acquainted with many people. He also became intimate with Pres. Brigham Young and asked him many questions in regard to Church government. Among other things Pres. Young told him that it was the right of the senior Apostle (in order of ordination) to preside in case of his (Pres. Young's) death, but no man that had ever faltered or turned back could lead. At the general conference of the Church held in May, 1874, John Henry was called to go on a mission to Europe; his father gave him a blessing and Apostle John Taylor set him apart for his mission. He was also ordained a Seventy by Pres. Joseph Young, and set apart to preside as one of the counsel over the 65th Quorum of Seventies. In the latter capacity he, however, never acted, as some mistake had been made, the quorum being already full. He left Ogden to fulfil his mission June 29, 1874, and reached New York city July 4th. He paid a visit to his uncles (mother's brothers) in New Hampshire. They received him kindly. July 14, 1874, in company with David McKenzie and L. John Nuttall, he sailed from New York in the steamship "Idaho," and landed at Liverpool July 26th. He visited a few days with his cousin, Pres. Joseph F. Smith, and was appointed to labor in the Birmingham conference, under the direction of Elder Richard V. Morris. Subsequently he visited most of the conferences in Great Britain, and in 1875, in company with Pres. Joseph F. Smith and other Elders, visited Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and France. His father being taken very sick, John Henry was ordered home in July, 1875. [p.143] He arrived in time to spend fifteen days at his father's bedside, who died Sept. 1, 1875. After this John Henry was in the employ of the Utah Central Railway Company for several years. Nov. 22, 1875, he was ordained a High Priest and Bishop by Pres. Brigham Young Geo. Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith, Pres. Young being mouth, and set apart to preside over the Seventeenth Ward of Salt Lake City. In this position he was sustained by the people of the Ward, and enjoyed his labors very much. At the city election in February, 1876, he was elected a member of the city council from the Third Precinct. He was re-elected twice and served six years altogether. In August, 1882, he was elected a member of the Territorial legislature. During the excitement attending the passage of the first Edmunds law, he and Moses Thatcher were sent to Washington, D. C., to labor with Elder George Q. Cannon, using their influence against the passage of that law. They found it impossible to approach public men, owing to the excitement, and after about a month's sojourn at the capital they returned home. In April, 1877, John Henry yielded obedience to the principle of plural marriage by marrying Josephine Groesbeck, a daughter of Elder Nicholas Groesbeck. He was ordained an Apostle Oct. 27, 1880, President Woodruff being mouth, in answer to prayer. After the October conference in 1882, he was sent to preside over the European Mission, and was away from home two years and five months, during which time he traveled extensively in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. He also visited the Isle of Man, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Since his return from this mission abroad, and during the excitement incident to the execution of the Edmunds law, he has labored incessantly among the Saints in Utah and surrounding States and Territories. He was arrested in July, 1885, on the charge of unlawful cohabitation, and was discharged by the Commissioner. In connection with Apostle John W. Taylor he organized the Uintah Stake of Zion, May 9, 1897; since then he has assisted in the organization of a number of other Stakes and Wards. Besides attending to his ecclesiastical duties, Elder Smith has figured prominently in the political affairs of the State. In February, 1876, he was elected a member of the Salt Lake City council. Being re-elected twice, he served for six years in the capacity of councilman. In August, 1881, he was elected a member of the Territorial legislature. When the People's party and the Liberals divided upon national political lines he was one of the first and foremost in advocating the principles of Republicanism in the Territory, and ever since he has been an active Republican in politics. He was president of the convention that formed the constitution under which Utah was admitted as a State of the Union. Since his call to the Apostleship, Elder Smith has devoted practically the whole of his time to public duties. Except at times when upon missions abroad, he has traveled almost constantly among the Stakes of Zion, attending conferences, instructing and encouraging the Saints, organizing and setting in order Stakes and Wards, etc. He has visited every Stake of Zion, and many of them several times over. In 1899, he also made a tour of the Southern States Mission, doing considerable preaching on the way. A number of times he has attended as a delegate the sessions of the Irrigation and the Trans-Mississippi Congresses. The Trans-Mississippi Congress of April, 1900, was held in Houston, Texas. After its adjournment he went, with Pres. George Q. Cannon and others, to the City of Mexico. The visit was of deep interest to him, and he was much impressed with what he witnessed in our sister republic. His time being so devoted to public affairs, Apostle Smith has not engaged personally to any great extent in business enterprises, though he has ability in that line, and is connected with a number of the leading business institutions of the State, as an officer or director. By nature and training he is most eminently qualified for public duties. He has a good knowledge of human character and an extensive acquaintance with prominent men, not only in his own State, but throughout the nation. These qualifications, and above all, his remarkable faculty for making friends wherever he goes, fit him admirably for the position and labors that have fallen to his lot. The character of John Henry Smith is a fine study for every young [p.144] man; and from it one can gain valuable lessons. It requires no very close acquaintance to understand his disposition, for in it there is no element of deceit or artfulness. The motives by which he is actuated may be read in his open countenance and easy, natural and unassuming manner. He is straightforward in all his actions—never being guilty of any double-dealing—and is always outspoken and candid in expressing his sentiments. He possesses courage of the highest type—a fearlessness born of the assurance that he is in the right. These qualities impress all people with whom he comes in contact that he is sincere in his convictions, whether or not they agree with his ideas. He is of a happy disposition, always hopeful, and he takes the most cheerful view of conditions that may confront him, no matter how discouraging the aspect may be. He is quick to discern and appreciate the good qualities of others, is ever thoughtful regarding their welfare, and is broad-minded in his views. He possesses the same good qualities of heart as of mind, and he is liberal almost to a fault. By his continual upright course in life he has established a credit for integrity and honesty, without which no man can expect to gain and retain the confidence of his fellows, no matter how brilliant his other attainment may be. As a public speaker, Apostle Smith is convincing, forceful and eloquent. His eloquence is that of sincere earnestness. In private conversation he displays the same earnestness, and is always interesting and entertaining. But the great secret of his influence with mankind is his love for them. The power that some men, more than others, seem to possess and exert over their fellows—frequently even against the will of the latter—is sometimes called personal magnetism. The force of attraction possessed by Apostle Smith is nothing less than the magnetism of pure love for humanity. (See also "Southern Star," Vol. 2, p. 421; "Juvenile Instructor," Vol. 35, p. 321.)

Sarah FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 30 Oct 1849 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. She died 4 on 4 Feb 1921 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. She was buried 5 on 7 Feb 1921 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. Sarah married 6 John Henry SMITH on 20 Oct 1866.

Jas. T. Jakeman, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers and Their Mothers, p. 124
Sarah Farr Smith:—Was born in Salt Lake City, October 30, 1849, the daughter of Lorin and Nancy B. Chase Farr.

As a girl she took active part in the Tabernacle Choir of Ogden, until her marriage October 20, 1866, to John Henry Smith, at Salt Lake City. She has lived in the 17th Ward a good many years. She is a member of the Relief Society, and Daughters of the Revolution.

She has made her home and children her life interest, and has always been a kind, considerate, and loving woman, willing at all times to help those in need and assist in every way possible to lighten the woes of the distressed. Sister Smith resided at 23 North West Temple.

Biography of Sarah Farr Smith from David J. Farr
President George Albert Smith recalled some events about his mother from an interview conducted by Luacine C. Fox.  President Smith was asked what qualities in your mother most affected him in his life. He replied, “her tenderness, her devotion to her children-there were eleven of us, you know..she had been a real mother..of course to us she was the best mother in the world. When I was a little fellow, just getting so I could climb the stairs, I remember mother took me by the hand, led me up the stairs into the bedroom where my crib was, and sitting by my crib, she had me kneel. She took both my little hands in hers and taught me how to pray, and do you know the prayer she taught me? 'Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, And if I die, before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.'” President Smith also recalled the time he only willfully disobeyed his mother. “She took a little willow stick and marched me into the kitchen and was about to whip me with it, but I took hold of both of her hands and wouldn't let her do it. 'I'm not going to whip you Son. If  your'e old enough to know you can stop me by holding my hands, then you're too old to be whipped,' and she never did it again.” (Three Minatures From Life, The Mother's of the First Presidency” Relief Society Magazine, May 1946, pg. 291)

Sarah Smith was never well and unable to take a real active part in the church. Her home duties and care of her beloved children took all her time. She did enjoy traveling and accompanied her husband on church business. (Ibid. Pg. 292)

Sarah married John Henry Smith Oct. 20, 1866 ten days before her 17th birthday. They had eleven children. John Henry Smith's father was George Albert Smith, cousin to the Prophet Joseph Smith. His great grandfather was John Smith, uncle to the prophet Joseph, and was both Salt Lake Stake President and patriarch to the church, when he died i n 1854.

One of the son's of Sarah and John was George Albert Smith, who was to become an apostle and one of the presidents of the church. When George Albert Smith was visiting San Francisco in 1911 holding various meetings he had an interesting dream in which he beheld in very vivid fashion his father John Henry Smith (who had recently died), Joseph F. Smith and his grandfather and namesake George Albert Smith.  Elder Smith also saw his grandfather, Lorin Farr in such a vivid sense that he described in detail his mode of dress. Grandfather Lorin wore a gray and pepper and salt business suit with a soft hat. He said that he looked and acted twenty years younger than when he died walking like a young man. As they met he shook George Albert's hand and talked with him about the family. His grandson was struck by the fact that he could feel the warmth of his grandfather's hand and detected that he had a body of flesh and bones. Elder Smith made no effort to interpret the dream other than to say it was a great comfort to him. President Smith would refer often to the different dreams he had of his grandfathers and father which showed he attached great spiritual meaning in his life. These dreams were clear and logical and conveyed the love that his relatives felt for him.  These dreams came during long periods of illness he suffered and were very welcome.  (George Albert Smith, by Francis Gibbons, pgs. 1, 74-75)

John Henry Smith was a large and powerfully built young man. . He with two friends were crossing the Provo River when their small boat capsized with John Henry becoming entangled in driftwood being kept under the water for sometime. People on the shore gave him up for dead when he was suddenly lifted bodily on to the shore by a wave as if by some unseen force.  It was learned afterwards that his father was fervently praying for him being impressed that he was in danger. (John Henry Smith, History by Josephine Peterson, DUP)

He married his first wife, Sarah Farr, at age eighteen. The young couple moved to Provo where John Henry was employed as a telegrapher. While there he served as a counselor to Bishop W.A. Follett. He often traveled with his father on his journeys throughout the territory.  Through this he became more acquainted with prominent men of the community.  In November 22, 1875 he was called as Bishop of the Seventeenth Ward where he served for five years with energy and zeal.  At General Conference in 1880 he was called to fill one of the vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve.  Elder Smith served as President of the European Mission. On his return home he was arrested for polygamy. Discharged for lack of evidence he continued to serve. In addition to his church service he was active in politics belonging to the Republican Party. He was appointed a member of the Salt Lake City Council in 1876 serving six years.  John Henry's easy, natural and outgoing personality denoted a frank and straightforward character. These human qualities impressed all of his sincerity. His happy disposition enabled him to take the most cheerful view of conditions no matter how bleak things might appear.  As a public speaker he was forceful, convincing and eloquent.  His pure love and magnetism for people made him interesting and convincing in personal conversation or a the pulpit.  These qualities were key to his success. He would go on to be President of the Constitutional Convention for the state of Utah. (Ibid.)

John Henry Smith was called as a member of the First Presidency by his cousin, President Joseph F. Smith, in 1910.  In business he was a member of the executive board of directors of the ZCMI, the Salt Lake Knitting Works, the Heber J. Grant Company, Home Fire Insurance Company and was president of the Utah Mexican Rubber Company. He owned a large amount of property immediately south of the Salt Lake Temple. (Ibid)

In another account it tells how George Albert was sick abed when his brother Winslow called to tell him their father, John Henry Smith, had passed away. This was a great blow as his father had been such an anchor to the whole family. The year was 1911. He reported a dream in which he saw his father smiling and President Joseph F. Smith delivering a package to him that seemed to contain something he had been seeking.  This seemed to indicate that he was in a better position in the church and that pleased his father.  Again he recounted the dream of seeing his grandfather, Lorin Farr, who was walking in a beautiful pasture with the spring of young manhood in his step. He was surprised when the dream image of his grandfather shook his hand.  While they walked toward a brook his grandfather said that there would  be a harvest of my family soon.  Again he reported that he could feel the warmth of his hand the thrill of pleasure that I had when I found he could shake hands and he  had a body of flesh and bone. (Builders of the Kingdom, Pusey, pgs.253-54)

George Albert Smith referred to his grandfather Lorin, as 'Grandpa Apples.'  He would speak at Lorin's funeral in 1909 to the many mourners who had gathered to celebrate his grandfather's life.  Later when he became President of the church he liked to show visitors pictures of his father, John Henry Smith and two grandfathers, George A. Smith and Lorin Farr. (Builders of the Kingdom, Pusey, pgs. 248 and 337)

John Franklin GAY was born 1 on 28 Mar 1843 in Macon, Noxubee, Mississippi. He died 2 on 28 Dec 1921 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He was buried 3 on 1 Jan 1922 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. John married 4 Tirzah FARR on 19 Jan 1869 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Tirzah FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 3 May 1852 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died 4 on 23 Oct 1946 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She was buried 5 on 26 Oct 1946 in Ogden City Cemetery, Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Tirzah married 6 John Franklin GAY on 19 Jan 1869 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Jas. T. Jakeman, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers and Their Mothers, p. 124
Teriza Farr Gay:—This noble mother in Israel has always rejoiced in the fact that she was well born. She was born of godly parents. Her father was Lorin Farr, one of God's noblemen, and her mother Nancy B. Chase Farr. She came into the world on the 3rd day of May, 1852, and was married to John Franklin Gay, in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City. She is the mother of nine children, six of whom are living. She has been a resident of Ogden all her life. She is a member of Company G. Daughters of the Pioneers of Ogden City.

Biography of Tirzah Farr from David J. Farr
Tirzah was born 3 May 1852, in Ogden Utah.  She remembered that Brigham Young and his party would often stay at their home as they visited Ogden or on their way north to other settlements. Some 20 carriages full of people and supplies would accompany him. When they came, Lorin Farr would hire men to fish the streams to catch fresh fish for the group to feast on. Occasionally, Lorin accompanied the party on their journeys and took Tirzah with him. They traveled in a fine three seated carriage. She enjoyed traveling with President Young's daughter, Alice, who she remembered as beautiful and well dressed. She wanted to be just like her. (Ogden Standard, March 19, 1940, DUP)

On the trip with her father and Brigham Young they would stay a couple of nights in various communities and speak at their meetings. On the way back on one trip they took a road Lorin had constructed from Bear Lake to Huntsville. For sometime there was no celebration of Christmas and a child would be lucky to get a stick of candy in the season. (Sketch of the Life of Tirzah Farr Gay, Etta Gay Shupe, pgs.3-4)

Tirzah remembered the first electric light in the city at Twenty Fifth Street and Adams and that it made the people standing under it look like ghosts.  She recalls their first cabin having a floor of straw, because it could be changed quickly when wet. (Ogden Standard, op.cit.)

She married John Gay on 19 January 1869.  She had met  him while going to Lorin Farr's neighborhood schoolhouse.  He was a strapping 25 year old man, standing a good six feet three inches tall to Tirzah's petite five feet.  There first date was dance in celebration of the completion of the Farr Woolen Mill at the foot of Ogden Canyon near where Lorin's grist mill and sawmill had been located. (John Franklin Gay by David Salmon, pg. 21)

They had nine children; Olive Gertrude, Tirzah, John Franklin, Julie Etta, Newton Adelbert, Lawrence, Florence, Loring Eugene, Nancy Pearl.  During the small pox epidemic in 1870, both John and Tirzah became ill.  Their first born, just 1 year old, died of the disease.  Tirzah was not as ill as John and was able to nurse him back to health. (Sketch of the Life Of Tirzah Farr Gay, op.cit.)

John worked for Lorin Farr, freighting out to where the railroad was being built.  One time he was asked by Chauncey West to carry $100,000 in gold to pay the men.  He had a four-horse team carrying supplies to the men and hid the gold in a sack of oats.   En route, he was stopped by robbers who asked him if it was Bishop West's outfit.  They had heard West was carrying the gold.  John replied it was his own outfit, so they let him pass without searching. That experience so scared him, he never again carried the payroll. (ibid, pg. 5)

In the early 1860's John worked at logging in the Big Cottonwood Canyon.  He was caught in a terrible blizzard with the other loggers and blocked from returning to the sawmill.  John volunteered to walk down the river and seek help.  He was nearly frozen by the time he got there, but was able to rescue them.   He was later employed by the Southern Pacific Railroad as a baggage master and remained with them for 37 years, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day until retirement.  He predeceased Tirzah, dying December 28, 1921.   Tirzah lived to age 94.  She died at her home, of causes incident to age on October 23, 1946. (Sketch of the Life of John Franklin Gay by Martha Gay Stromberg, May 30, 1975, DUP)

Benjamin L. Rich spoke at Tirzah's funeral held in the Ogden Fourth Ward Oct. 26, 1946. He said she had lived more than half the period of the creation of the United States. She lived longer than any of her family. There were 12 Presidents of the U.S. before her birth and 20 after. She remembered the assassination of the President Lincoln as if it had been yesterday. Her father said that a great calamity had come to the nation.  She had said to Ben Rich that she had never harmed anyone. She had obeyed the laws of God and man. Ben was amazed at her almost encyclopedic memory. Her modesty and  language was above reproach. Throughout life she had radiated love, affection, kindness, goodness and a beautiful dignity. (Tirzah Farr Gay, by Mrle Farr Thacker, DUP)

Ezra FARR (twin) [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 21 Feb 1854 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He died 4 on 5 Dec 1933 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He was buried 5 on 8 Dec 1933 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Ezra married 6, 7 Elveretta KAY on 9 Apr 1877 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Ezra resided 8 in 1910 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States.

Elveretta KAY [scrapbook] was born on 12 Nov 1857 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died 1 on 5 Mar 1897 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. Elveretta married 2, 3 Ezra FARR (twin) on 9 Apr 1877 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

They had the following children.

  M i Ezra Leon FARR was born on 30 Jul 1878. He died on 19 Mar 1935 from of tuberculosis.
  F ii
Clara Kay FARR [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 23 Dec 1880 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died 3 on 7 Dec 1960 in Roy, Weber, Utah, United States.

Clara resided 4 in 1910 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States.
  F iii Inez FARR was born on 15 May 1883. She died in Sep 1961.
  F iv Zelma FARR was born on 27 Aug 1885. She died on 29 Sep 1939.
  M v
Cecil Earl FARR [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 2 Jan 1889 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He died 3 on 16 May 1910 in Hood River, Oregon, United States.
  F vi
Mabel FARR 1 was born on 27 Oct 1890 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died on 28 Oct 1890 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States.
  F vii
Jeanetta Ruth FARR [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 30 Jul 1893 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died 3 on 8 Dec 1957.

Jeanetta resided 4 in 1910 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States.

Ben Erastus RICH [scrapbook] was born 1 on 7 Nov 1855 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He died 2 on 13 Sep 1913 in New York, New York, United States from of apoplexy. He was buried 3 on 21 Sep 1913 in Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. Ben married 4 Diana FARR (twin) on 27 Dec 1877 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Son of Charles Coulson Rich and Sarah DeArmon Pea

Married Diana Farr, 27 December 1877, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Children - Benjamin Leroy Rich, Lorin Farr Rich, Frederick L. Rich, Homer Erastus Rich, Ida Rich, Don O'Neil Rich, Andrea Rich, Frank Cannon Rick

Married Rosabell Osmond, 12 September 1885, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Andrea Christina Jensen, 8 December 1888, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Laura Bowring, 13 April 1898

Married Alice Caroline McLachlan, 4 October 1899

OBITUARY: The Manti Messenger, Friday 19 September 1913:


Former President of Eastern States Mission of Mormon Church Dead.

New York – After an illness of four weeks, Ben E. Rich, president of the eastern mission of the Mormon church, and one of the best known men in the west, died in this city at 8:10 o'clock Saturday evening. Four weeks ago Mr. Rich took to his bed with a complication of kidney and heart trouble.

Ben E. Rich was born in Salt Lake City fifty three years ago. His father was a Mormon pioneer and prominent in church circles. He was the father of an unusually large family, 368 direct descendants of Apostle Rich now living in Utah and Idaho. Ben E. Rich was one of fifty two children. He had been prominent in politics in Utah and Idaho but of late years had devoted his time to church work.

LDS Biographical Encyclopedia

Benjamin Erastus Rich was born Nov 7, 1855 in Salt Lake City Utah the son of Charles C. Rich and Sarah D. Pea. He was one of his father's fifty two children. 

He married Diana Farr Dec 27, 1877 and entered business for himself in Ogden. In 1881-83 he filled a mission to Great Britain and returned in charge of nearly 700 emigrating Saints. He also began activity in the effort being made at the time for statehood for Utah During the next few years he mingled religion politics and business in his career becoming prominent in each. 

In 1893 he removed to Rexburg, Idaho with his family. Here he purchased the Rexburg Press the name of which he changed to the Silver Hammer. He wrote a book, Mr. Durant of Salt Lake City, which gained great popularity, and later wrote numerous pamphlets and booklets which were distributed quite widely throughout the Church and the world. Later he removed the Silver Hammer office to St Anthony, Idaho. Both in Idaho and Utah he was active in local and national politics.

In June 1898 he was called to take charge of the Southern States Mission which position he filled until July 1908. During his tenure in the Southern States Mission, President Rich attended the October 1900 general conference At the same time he chaired a political event at which Theodore Roosevelt spoke. The two developed a personal relationship. The two spent hours talking through night as they road the train back to Salt Lake City. Rich made such an impression on Roosevelt, that Roosevelt recognized Rich on the street two years later when a speaking tour took him to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Roosevelt stopped the walking parade to personally greet President Rich. This public recognition greatly helped the standing of the Church in Tennessee.

He was [then] called to the presidency of the Eastern States Mission, a position which he filled until the time of his demise. For nearly twenty years he was continuously engaged in missionary work hardly sparing time from his labors to make more than business visits to Utah or elsewhere. He was considered one of the most workers in the Church and one of the most fearless expounders of the gospel of Christ In his career as a missionary he met and debated with many anti Mormons of prominence and always left a strong impression upon his hearers. He also underwent various forms of persecution peculiar to the South and always bore it with manliness and patience During the first fifteen years of his missionary life he enjoyed excellent health. During the last two years or his life he suffered considerably with sickness and finally passed to the great beyond Sept 13, 1913 in New York.

Diana FARR (twin) [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 5 Apr 1858 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died 4 on 24 Aug 1933 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States from of sigmoid cancer. She was buried 5 on 27 Aug 1933. Diana married 6 Ben Erastus RICH on 27 Dec 1877 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Jas. T. Jakeman, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers and Their Mothers, p. 124
Diana Farr Rich:—Daughter of Lorin Farr and Nancy B. Chase Farr. Married Benjamin Erastus Rich at Salt Lake City, December 27, 1877. Sister Rich has held prominent positions in Church and Missionary life such as President of Primary, Mutual Improvement Association and Relief Societies. She also held the position of Matron at the Southern States Mission Headquarters at Chattanooga, Tenn., for two years, at Cincinnati Conference Headquarters for two years and at Atlanta Conference Headquarters for two years. With the exception of time spent in different Mission fields, Sister Rich lived at Ogden in 1893, Rexberg, Idaho, 1899, Salt Lake 1907 and at Centerville from 1908 to the present. Sister Rich is always a true and faithful Latter-day Saint and has made her life very useful in doing the Lord's work continually.

Heber John SEARS [scrapbook] was born on 13 Sep 1861 in Hyde Park Farm, Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire, England, United Kingdom. He died on 24 Feb 1942 in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States. He was buried on 2 Mar 1942 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. Heber married 1, 2 Isabelle FARR on 16 Jul 1884 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States.

Heber emigrated on 3 Jun 1864. He immigrated on 19 Jul 1864 to New York, New York, United States.

Isabelle FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2, 3 on 3 Mar 1861 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died 4 on 20 Apr 1936 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States from of a cerebral hemorrage. She was buried on 22 Apr 1936 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. Isabelle married 5, 6 Heber John SEARS on 16 Jul 1884 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States.

(From Notes of David J Farr, pgs 205-213)

Isabel Farr had a pioneer upbringing seeing most of their needs met by homegrown efforts. She remembered the food produced by the garden, the orchards and the livestock. Flour for all the family came from Lorin's mill. Wool came carded from their own sheep. She remembers their amusements in riding in their three seat carriage, bob sleigh riding  in the winter and local talent shows. Isabel remembers Indians sleeping on their kitchen floor who had been protected and fed by her mother, Nancy Bailey Farr.  She learned to sew and had a flair for making her own clothes. Belle (as she was often called) suffered from health problems early in life. She felt one possible cause was that the clinching of tight corsets giving her a small waistline contributed to her ill health. The sudden death by accident of her fiancee caused her heartbreak and many months of misery and ill health. She was still in ill health when she married Heber John Sears July 16, 1884 in the Logan Temple. A year later she suffered ill health again when a child was still born.  She was unconscious for ten days and was a long time in recovering. (Biography of Belle Farr Sears, pgs. 1 &2, DUP)

Early in their marriage Belle and Heber were called on a mission to New Zealand. Sailing from San Francisco they suffered from six days of stormy passage causing Belle to be ill. It seemed prudent to stay in Hawaii for sometime so Belle could recover her health. There they were met by her brother, Enoch, who was filling a mission there. Joseph F. Smith was also there from which they formed a life long association.  They stayed for sometime recovering enough to go on to New Zealand. Their ship, the Mariposa, was struck by the tail end of a  cyclone surviving to experience calmer seas. Their mission among the Maori's was difficult for Belle and after a year the mission president felt it prudent to have her go home to gain back her health.  Heber stayed on the mission with Belle living with her parents until his return. (ibid, pg. 2)

Both Heber and Belle learned to speak Maori fluently. Heber composed some poetry in the Maori language.  Upon Heber's return he formed a partnership in grain with a David Kay in grain and feed. This did not work out so he entered another business which was successful for a time. When things got hard he went back to Chicago in 1894 to study medicine. He was forced to discontinue his studies for a time to build the Crown Dental Laboratory business which he would own and run for 17 years. He would re enter  the College of Physicians and Surgeons to complete his studies finally graduating in 1905. Unfortunately he reluctantly had to stay in business to earn enough money to support his wife and four children.  His practice of medicine was a side venture and only included charity patients. (Biography of Heber John Sears, pgs. 3 & 4, DUP & Obituary in possession of author)

Heber was born in 1861 and lived a very full life with useful results.  When he returned to Utah in 1919 he was given a professorship at the University of Utah and was made head of the Department of Hygiene and Preventive Medicine for six years. Often he would travel throughout the state giving lectures on health and character building. He traveled extensively. He loved good music and possessed a fine bass voice.  He was active in the LDS Sunday School. He was a fine penman and wrote a number of articles for various publications on health. He was on the board of directors of the Utah Public Health Association, director of a Salt Lake Bank, member of the Utah Welfare League, Treasurer of the Salt Lake Ensign Club and member of the Utah Academy of Sciences. He remarried one year after the death of Belle died in 1936 to Flora Meyerhoffer. With his new wife he took a number of trips finally dying in Beverly Hills California in 1942 at age 80.(ibid, pgs. 3 & 4)

Over the years Brother George Hill, blessed with gift of healing, administered to Belle when others had given up on her surviving.  Upon her return from New Zealand Brother Hill barely recognized her she was so dark and sallow. Brother Hill promised her that she would have children and so she did even as she feared she would be an invalid without children.  Belle was very resourceful as their family struggled financially while Heber was in medical school. She made white bow ties selling them to the missionaries and kept house for a musician. To spare Heber's eyes she read his medical books to him until late hours. They both paid in poor health by their exertions in seeing Heber through school.  After the birth of her fourth child her health took a turn for the better.  Her personality radiated with this new found gift of health and their social life became quite expanded.  They made many lasting friends among their social acquaintances including Stephen L. Richards (later to be an apostle and member of the First Presidency) and Albert E. Bowen (later an apostle).  Highly intelligent round table discussions were held among dinner guests with Belle possessing excellent diction and a good contributor of current events and national affairs a frequent contributor.  After having  been an   invalid  for 14 years she flowered in her new found energy and opportunity.  She  could  yodel  and  had a seemingly in exhaustible store of lullabyes and nursery songs often rocking her grandchildren to sleep. (Bio. of Belle Sears, pgs. 2-5)

The Deseret News (April 20, 1936) reported, 'Isabelle Farr Sears, honored by a host of friends and admirers as one of the outstanding wives and mothers in Utah, died quietly this morning at the family residence, 276 University Street. Mrs. Sears was the wife of Heber J. Sears. She was 75 years old. She had been ill for several months, and death resulted from a cerebral hemorrhage.

Born into an atmosphere of work, industry and public service, Mrs. Sears carried throughout her life an optimistic spirit and consecration to duty inherited from her father and mother and shared by her husband.

She was born in Ogden, March 3, 1861, the daughter of the late Lorin Farr and Nancy B. Farr. Her father was an outstanding leader in the then young community of Ogden and served as mayor of that community for 21 years without compensation.

She married Heber J. Sears, July 16, 1884 and departed with her husband on a mission for the Church to New Zealand. She later accompanied him to Chicago and during the years he was studying medicine worked uncomplainingly to assist him.

After her husband received his degree and became active in practice, Isabelle Sears made her home a delightful gathering place for University students and hundreds of friends in every state in the Union will remember her as a charming hostess who always welcomed them and radiated from a sparkling personality, the courage to attain worthwhile achievement.

Mrs. Sears is survived by her husband, Dr. Heber J. Sears; two sons, Dr. Victor Hugo Sears of New York City and Gordon H. Sears of Washington D.C.; two daughters, Mrs. Joseph E. Evans of Ogden, Utah and Mrs. Albert J. Browning of Chicago, Illinois; ten grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. John F. Gay of Ogden, and a large family of half-brothers and half-sisters.

Funeral services will be held at 12:15 p.m. Wednesday at the University Ward Chapel. Interment will be in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Moses THATCHER [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 2 Feb 1842 in Springfield, Sangamon, Illinois, United States. He died 3, 4 on 21 Aug 1909 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. Moses married 5 Celestia Ann FARR "Lettie" on 13 Jul 1861 in Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Celestia Ann "Lettie" FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 3 Jan 1845 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States. She died 2 on 21 Jun 1921. Lettie married 3 Moses THATCHER on 13 Jul 1861 in Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Celestia Ann (Letitia, Lettie) Ann Farr was born 3 January 1845 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois. The first child of Aaron Freeman Farr, Sr. and Persis Atherton.

Just past her first birthday, her parents packed all they had into a covered wagon and left with the majority of the Latter Day Saints as they were driven out of the City. Their journey started down the "Street of Tears" in Nauvoo and would eventually end at the Great Valley of the Salt Lake. They crossed the Mississippi, through the ice filled waters on rafts and camped with the company of Brigham Young on Sugar Creek. The days and nights were filled with bone-chilling cold, wind, snow and ice that plagued the refugees with sickness and death. They traveled in the company of Brigh Young and reached Council Bluff (Winter Quarters) where they stopped for the winter.

Lettie's father Aaron was chosen as one of the men responsible for the stock of the soldiers that had volunteered for the Mormon Battalion. It was his responsibility to make sure their animals had enough graze and Aaron, Persis and young Lettie followed the animals around most of the winter living in a covered wagon at various camps.

After Lettie turned two her father Aaron was called by Brigham Young to join up with him as one of the Vanguard Pioneers for an early push to the Salt Lake Valley. Lettie and her mother were to follow as soon as the grass could support their stock. Aaron left around the 6th of April. He traveled as far as the Green River, when he was called to turn around and come back to Winter Quarters to lead out the next party of pioneers. Persis and Lettie's wagon pulled by two cows carried everything they owned. They were assigned to the Spencer Company and traveled in the company of Lettie's Uncle Lorin Farr. They left Winter Quarter's in June. Aaron, her father, met up with them just outside of Kearney, Nebraska. They traveled the rest of the way together and were the second pioneer group to enter the valley on September 20, 1847.

Lettie's father, Aaron, built a log cabin on his lot in Middle Fort, in the spring of 1848. He put in a good wooden floor for Lettie to play on. Later the family moved to Cottonwood and lived for the summer returning to Salt Lake in the fall. They lived in a log cabin in the 17th ward. Lettie became a big sister when Persis Anna was born November 25, 1848

Aaron was appointed by Brigham Young as a Civil Magistrate to the people, and went to Iron County in 1850 where he was nominated as Magistrate. He returned in the fall. Lettie at the age of 10 was a big help to her mother when the other children were born.

Lettie's father left on a mission to Jamaica on September 15, 1852. Aaron suffered so much hardship and persecution that he left a month later. He served the rest of his mission in the Eastern states. He returned arriving in Salt Lake October 31, 1854. Among the families he brough back was the Thorp family. On January 28, 1855, Lettie's life changed when her father entered into plural marriage with Lucretia Ball Thorp and Hope Astill.

On March 21, 1857, Lettie's little sister Persis ate a poisonous sego lily by mistake and died March 23. She was only eight years old. A few days later Uncle Winslow Farr and Grandfather Farr helped move the family to Ogden where her Uncle Lorin Farr lived and was Mayor of the town. Their first house was made of adobe.

On July 21, 1857, Lettie's family loade up their wagons and journeyed to Salt Lake City. They had supper and stayed with Grandmother and Grandfather Farr in Big Cottonwood where the next morning they traveled up to Silver Lake for the big July 24th 1857, Ten-year celebration. At the age of twelve Lettie was probably thrilled by the program that was being carried on throughout the morning. At lunch a group rode into camp and notified that federal troops were headed for Salt Lake City. On July 27th, early Monday monring Lettie's quiet group headed for home. A year later found her camped at the Provo River bottoms hiding from Johnston's Army. It was very hot and water was bad. Msny people got sick and some died. When the danger was past they returned to their homes.

Lettie, her mother, brothers and baby sister moved back to Salt Lake City. Lettie continued to grow-up and received a quality education. She met Moses Thatcher and at the age of 16 on April 7th 1861, they were married by her Uncle Lorin Farr. They were later sealed by President Brigham Young in autumn of the same year. Her sister Ladornia came down with Scarlet Fever and died. She was buried the same day as many people were fearful of the disease.

Lettie and Moses moved to Cache Valley shortly after their marriage and built the first frame house in Logan. Her husband was given a mission by Bishop Maughan to herd cattle on Promontory during the winter of 1861-62.

Lettie and Moses had eight children, her mother Persis Atherton moved to Logan with her two sons to be close to Lettie, right after Ladornia died. Persis lived in a small house on the Thatcher estate.

Lettie's husband was called to serve a mission to Europe. He left home in April 1866 and returned August 1868. During the mission his health was not good. When he retuned home he again entered the mercantile field with his father forming the firm of "Thatcher and Son".

In April 1879, Moses was called to become an Apostle for the Quorum of the Twelve. The entire family moved to Salt Lake City during this time. As the wife of an Apostle Lettie welcomed all visitors to her home. Her mother was a great help to her as her husband was away a great deal of time on church business.

Moses was called away again in October 26th 1879, to Mexico. Returned to Salt Lake City on the 22nd of February 1880. He left for Mexico again in November 17th and reached Mexico December 5, 1880. While on the return home his companion Feramorz L. Young contacted a fever that developed into typhoid pneumonia and he died on the night of September 27th. They were forced to bury him at sea and Moses returned home with greatly impaired health and depressed spirits on October 8th 1881.

Although for most of their married life her husband continued to travel extensively on many missions to the Indians, government, etc., Lettie remains a faithful supporter, wife and mother. She happily watched her family grow.

On November 8, 1903, her father Aaron Farr while visiting with her and her family, passed away. I'm sure this was a very difficult time for Lettie as they transported his body to Ogden for burial.

Severe tragedy strikes four years later when her daughter Ida passes away on March 27th 1907 at the age of 44. This is followed by the passing of her brother Aaron Freeman Farr, Jr. on Apr 2, and then her mother on December 31, 1907 all in Logan. Moses died on August 21, 1909 in Logan. Her son George Farr thatcher died 17, 1914.

We come to the close of the life of Celestia (Lettie) Ann Farr Thatcher. She passes away on 21 Jun 1921 at the age of 76. She is buried in Logan, Cache, Utah.

Aaron Freeman FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 1 Nov 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He died on 2 Apr 1907 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. He was buried on 4 Apr 1907 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. Aaron married 3 Mary Maria NEBEKER on 5 Jun 1871 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Aaron resided 4 on 14 Jul 1870 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He resided 5 in 1880 in Willard, Box Elder, Utah, United States. He resided 6 on 1 Jun 1900 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States.

Aaron Freeman Farr, Jr. was born on the 1st of November 1850 in a log cabin in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was the son of Aaron Freeman Farr, St. and Persis Atherton.

When he was six years old his sister Persis died of a accidental ingestion of a poison sego lily, at the age of eight. A few days later the family moved to Ogden, where they lived in a three room adobe house.

Aaron his father, went to work with his Uncle Lorin as a miller. His sister Ladornia Gilkey was born a few months after their arrival in Ogden on June 20, 1857.

In the spring of 1858, he and his family moved south with the people of Weber County following the threat of Johnston's Army and the "Echo Canyon Wars". Here, his family was the main campe at the Provo River bottoms. Although the conditions were almost intolerable, it was probably a big adventure for a seven year old boy.

January of 1859, his father was elected by the Legislature, Probate Judge of Weber County. He filled a short mission in 1860 to the Eastern States.

During this time his mother Persis left his father and took Aaron, his brother Lucian, sisters Celestia (Lettie) and Ladornia and returned to Salt lake City. His sister Lettie met and married Moses Thatcher in April of 1861.

On March 3rd 1864, his sister Ladornia died of Scarlet Fever. She was buried the same day in the Salt Lake Cemetery for fear of further infection to the rest of the family. Shortly afterwards Pesis moved with Lucian and Aaron, Jr. to Logan to live next the Lettie and Moses. They lived in a small house on the Thatcher property.

Aaron met and married Mary Maria Nebeker on June 4th 1871 in Salt Lake City. They made their home in Logan. Aaron managed Z.C.M.I. in Logan for many years.

He was appointed Counselman on March 29, 1882 under Mayor Robert S. Cambell. He was elected Mayor of Logan on March 6, 1886 and resigned in February 1889. He served as Logan's Fire Chief in 1890.

Aaron and Mary had seven children. He died April 2, 1907 at the age of 56. He was buried April 4th in the Logan Cemetery.

Published in "The Journal" Logan City, Utah April 6, 1907


The funeral services over the remains of the Hon. A.F. Farr on Thursday afternoon at the Tabernacle had quite a large attendance, many friends from various parts of the valley joining those of Logan in paying the last sad tribute of respect to a man who was widely known and highly respected. Many other friends from the outside would have been present had notice of his death reached them in time and many more from Logan had they not gone to conference in Salt Lake before receiving notification.

The floral offerings, including a number of set pieces from various organizations were numerous, beautiful and fragrant.

The handsome polished oak, silver trimmed casket was accompanied into the building by Messrs. I.C. Thoresen, William Edwards, Hyrum Hayball, Benjamin and William Bingham, William Andrews, John Quayle and Frank Price, all old friends and intimates of the deceased who were also the pall-bearers, followed by the members of the family.

During the services the choir, under the leadership of Chorister Thatcher, rendered "Nearer My God to Thee", "Gently Lord, Oh Gently Lead Me", "Rest for the Weary Soul", and another suitable selection in a fine and sympathetic manner.

Elder Lorenzo Hansen offered the invocation.

President Kimball was the first speaker. He said he felt as if he had lost a brother, as his intimacy with the deceased had begun in boyhood and they had been more or less closely associated although life and he knew him to be a good man; a man whose faith was unquestionable; a man of foresight, wisdom an fact; a good adviser and one whom it was a benefit to associate with and the community at large, the speaker said, owed Aaron Farr a debt of gratitude for having taken an active part in producing many of the temporal blessings and comforts we are surrounded with. The speaker referred to the high public esteem in which the bereaved family is held and the sympathy felt for them, and expressed his willingness to aid and assist them in any manner within his power. Elder Kimball joined the deceased in abiding firm the faith regarding the plan of life and salvation. We may be weak and subject to temptation, but so long as we abide firm in the faith and offer resistance to the powers of evil, salvation and reunion with our loved ones is sure. God knows our temptations and weaknesses, and is a righteous judge. Referring to the opening hymn, the speaker remarked that occasions of this nature truly bring us nearer to God than at any other times. The uncertainty of life, he saidg, had been twice illustrated within a few days by the death and obsesquies of Mrs. Langton and the present occasion. The thoughts created by these sad departed ones we might meet the "well done good and faithful servant" welcome of our father and God, whose blessings in closing, the speaker invoked in behalf of the family.

Elder B.M. Lewis, within whose bishopric Elder Farr had lived during the greater part of this residence in Logan, expressed his high esteem for the deceased, based upon a long acquaintance, and expressed his sympathy for the family. As expressed by the former speaker, occasions of this kind bring us into a nearer and more tender intimacy than those of everyday life, and remembering that this must be the lot of all, should lead us to be charitable and sympathetic toward each other, as we are all here to work out a salvation, and will all be called in the due time of the Lord. The precious dead in this, as in other cases, would form an anchor to testing upon the further shore, for the souls of the family, whom he asked God to bless.

President C. H. Hart had been acquainted with the deceased for seventeen years, at which time Mr. Farr had been pointed out to him as the confident adviser of Z.C.M.I. who solved many of its inticate problems. The speaker paid tribute to Mr. Farr's business acumen and what he had done in a material way for the city and county; also to his moral worth, declaring him to have been a better man than he assumed to be; had never known him to propose or participate in anything dishonorable. A proof of his high moral plane is the integrity and worth of his family, for whom the speaker expressed the deepest sympathy, which extended also to her husband, to whom the deceased was very close. Might they prove the truth of the passage of scripture which declares; "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted".

Elder A.G. Barber remarked that the frequency with which we have been called together of late for a purpose similar to the present one, by no means lessons the poignancy of the grief when called upon to part with other loved ones. Which makes death the most solemn thing within the range of human experience. The speaker expressed sorrow the one man of all others present who by reason of his closer intimacy with the deceased and his brilliant powers of oratory could best pay tribute to his memory -- referring to Hon. Moses Thatcher -- was unable to do so on account of his own illness. Elder Barber['s acquaintance with Aaron Farr dated by more than thirty years, having first met him at the home of Bishop Ira Nebeker in Lake Town. It was evident to him that Mr Farr's educational advantages had been superior to that of the majority of the Utah young men of his time, and he admired his facility of expression and his keen understanding of business Mrs. Moses Thatcher, his sister, twice bereaved within a week, and to questions. Lately he had joined the bookkeeping class organized by Mr. Farr, and he had profited in a commercial way since by the intimacy. But it was in later years, when both members of the High Council that he learned to appreciate Elder Farr's sterling moral worth. The members learned to respect his keen insight and sound judgment displayed in the unraveling of complicated cases, and to love him for his unfailing charity of the erring, particularly for women, for whom he always demanded that justice and charity should go hand in hand. His judgment was formed quickly and expressed freely, regardless of what others might conclude, and he would vote alone if he believed himself right. There was no crooking of the servile knee before any human being in his makeup. Elder Barber corraberated the statement of a former speaker that the deceased was a better man than he professed to be. No man in Cache was more widely or favorable known. He was a man of experience and sound judgment in the affairs of life and death in these or in matters of religion was ever ready to give his friends wise council. Born in the early days of the State when young men were early thrown upon their own resources, he was self reliant and made the most of his opportunities for self-improvement. He afforded a supreme test of his bravery at the end, meeting illness, a should trying operation, even death, without shrinking. To witness the early death of such heroes as Aaron Farr makes a person sad. Referring to the lesson taught by such deaths the speaker declared that the faithful Saints are not as those without hope; that in their hearts dwells the abiding conviction of eternal life; that there's a God, the father, and that to those who have, as did the deceased, performed his will, death is victory. This faith is so firm in the hearts of the Latter-day Saints that they perform vicarious work for their dead, and believe that even beyond the grave the work of redemption of the race is continued; a labor in which, no doubt friend Farr would be found doing his part. Elder Barber concluded by invoking the choicest blessings of the Lord and comforter upon the stricken hearts of the bereaved.

Following the singing if "Rest for the Weary Sou" by the choir, Elder S. B. Mitton pronounce the benediction.

At the cemetery Elder Lorin Farr, uncle of the deceased, dedicated the grave.

RESIDENCE: Age 18, a Book Keeper.

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Aaron F FARR   Self M Male W 29 Utah Cattle Dealer
Mary M FARR   Wife M Female W 27 Utah Keeping House Delaware
Harry FARR Son S Male W 6 Utah Utah
Winston FARR Son S Male W 4 Utah Utah
Aquilla FARR Son S Male W 2 Utah

RESIDENCE: Indexed as NA??? Farr, age 49, w. Mary M. 47, d. Persis M. 16, d. Ivy 14, s. Keith 11.

Mary Maria NEBEKER [scrapbook] was born 1 on 25 May 1853 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. She died on 20 Nov 1936 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. She was buried on 23 Nov 1936 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. Mary married 2 Aaron Freeman FARR on 5 Jun 1871 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

BIRTH: Reads May 1853.

Marriage Notes:

MARRIAGE: The 1900 US Census states that they had been married for 29 years.

They had the following children.

  M i
Aaron Riley FARR [scrapbook] was born on 13 Oct 1872 in Willard, Box Elder, Utah, United States. He died on 5 Jun 1875.
  M ii Harrison "Hal" FARR was born on 29 Apr 1874. He died on 18 Feb 1941.
  M iii Winslow "Winn" FARR was born on 24 Mar 1876. He died on 17 Apr 1953.
  M iv Aquilla (Quill) FARR was born on 12 Jan 1878. He died on 14 May 1952.
  F v Persis Maria FARR was born on 27 Nov 1882. She died on 15 Nov 1918 from of lobar pneumonia.
  F vi Ivy FARR was born on 11 Apr 1886. She died on 16 Jun 1949.
  M vii Rodney Keith FARR was born on 11 Jun 1889. He died on 20 Feb 1947.

Lucian Corridon FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 14 Sep 1855 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. He died on 24 Mar 1933 in Arimo, Bannock, Idaho, United States. Lucian married Sarah Elizabeth HOLDEN on 11 Sep 1876 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Lucian resided 2 in 1870 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States.

LOGAN--Word was received here on Saturday of the death of Lucian Cordian Farr, 77, former Logan city marshal and fire chief. Mr. Farr died at his home in Arimo, Idaho. Friday. He was born in Salt Lake, Sept. 14, 1855. a son of Aaron F. and Persis Sutherton Farr. He moved to Arimo in 1910. Mr. Farr was marshal and fire chief of Logan for six years in the early 90s. Prior to that he freighted for Z. C. M. I. He served on an L. D. S. mission from 1881 to 1883 in New Zealand and a short term mission in California in 1925. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Sarah A. Holden Farr; two sons, Lucian C. Jr., and Otherton Farr, Arimo, Idaho; one brother, William Farr, California: two half-sisters, Mrs. Rose Hyde and Mrs. Estella Spangenberg, Ogden; six grandchildren. Funeral services will be conducted on Tuesday at 2 p.m. in the Arimo L. D. S. chapel, with burial in the Arimo City cemetery.


Sarah Elizabeth HOLDEN was born 1 on 1 Oct 1852 in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States. She died 2 on 9 Apr 1944 in Arimo, Bannock, Idaho, United States. Sarah married Lucian Corridon FARR on 11 Sep 1876 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

They had the following children.

  M i Lucian Coridan FARR Jr. was born on 7 Jun 1882. He died on 23 Apr 1939.
  M ii Atherton William FARR was born on 27 Jul 1887. He died on 22 Feb 1973.

Rodney Keith FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 11 Jun 1889 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. He died 2 on 20 Feb 1947 in Pocatello, Bannock, Idaho, United States. He was buried on 24 Feb 1947 in Pocatello, Bannock, Idaho, United States. Rodney married 3 Blanche LARSEN on 8 Dec 1910 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Rodney resided 4 in 1900 in Logan, Cache, Utah, United States. He resided 5 in 1920 in Robin, Bannock, Idaho, United States.

Listed as son of Aaron Farr and Mary M. in the 1900 US Census.

RESIDENCE: Age 11 and son of Aaron F Farr.


Blanche LARSEN [scrapbook] was born on 16 Jan 1891 in Pocatello, Bannock, Idaho, United States. She died on 11 Aug 1974 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. She was buried on 14 Aug 1974 in Pocatello, Bannock, Idaho, United States. Blanche married 1 Rodney Keith FARR on 8 Dec 1910 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States.

Blanche resided 2 in 1920 in Robin, Bannock, Idaho, United States.


They had the following children.

  M i
Rodney Keith FARR was born on 8 Jan 1912 in Robin, Bannock, Idaho, United States. He died on 9 Jan 1912 in Robin, Bannock, Idaho, United States.
  F ii Arletta FARR was born on 29 May 1914. She died on 9 Sep 1987.
  M iii Lyle Darrell FARR was born on 22 May 1916. He died on 17 Nov 1994.
  M iv Glen Larsen FARR was born on 30 Dec 1919. He died on 29 Apr 1979.
  M v Lowell Aaron FARR was born on 21 Jan 1927. He died on 8 Oct 2002.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index