Ancestors of Tim Farr and Descendants of Stephen Farr Sr. of Concord, Massachusetts and Lidlington, Bedfordshire, England

Heber Erastus FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 16 Aug 1875 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He was christened on 24 Aug 1875 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. He died 3 on 6 Jun 1965 in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States. He was buried on 9 Jun 1965 in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States. Heber married 4 Rosemilda Ranghilda (Hilda) BLUTH 5 on 25 Mar 1904 in Colonia Dublán, Chihuahua, Mexico.

Other marriages:
WILLIAMS, Amanda Elizabeth

Heber was born in a log cabin on Main Street (now Washington Blvd.) and 20th Street on a Monday morning at 3:40 a.m.

 ORDN DATE 17 AUG 1891
 ORDN PLAC Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico
 ORDN NOTE Ordained a deacon by Apostle George Teasdale, Winslow Farr, Jr., Frederick G. Williams II, and Philip H. Hurst.
 ORDN DATE 11 FEB 1893
 ORDN PLAC Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico
 ORDN NOTE Ordained a Priest under the hands of Joseph Wright, Frederick G. Williams II, and Harry M. Payne.
 ORDN PLAC Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico
 ORDN NOTE Ordained an Elder under the hands of Apostle John Henry Smith and Bishop Winslow Farr, Jr.
 ORDN DATE 18 DEC 1895
 ORDN PLAC Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico
 ORDN NOTE Ordained a Seventy of the 99th Quorum by Edward Stevenson who was ordained by Joseph Young who was ordained by Joseph Smith who was ordained by Peter, James and John.  (Heber's priesthood line of authority.)
 EVEN TYPE Mission
 EVEN DATE BET 1897 AND 1899
 EVEN PLAC Eastern States Mission (Pennsylvania)
 EVEN NOTE Dates are approximate.
 OCCU Cutting ice from the ice pond DATE 1887  OCCU Cutting ice from the ice pond PLAC Ogden, Weber, Utah  NOTE One time Heber fell into the ice pond.  When his rescuers got him out, his clothes were frozen, and so they had to stand him in the back of the truck, drove him the mile to home, where his mother had to pull off his clothes.  In the summer he worked on the ice wagon delivering ice to customers.
 RESI Colonia Dublan, Mexico DATE 1890
 RESI Colonia Dublan, Mexico NOTE Heber moved with his father and mother and siblings from Ogden to Mexico in 1890 rather than suffer his father's imprisonment again for polygamy.  They traveled by train to Deming, New Mexico, where they reassembled the covered wagons, which they had previously disassembled and took with them on the train.  The family had to live the first year in Colonia Diaz because the river was too high to cross.  NOTE Heber moved with his father and mother and siblings from Ogden to (Colonia Diaz was completely leveled during the Mexican Revolution of 1912.  There is nothing left of it.)  The next summer they moved to Colonia Dublan, about 50 miles further south. They pitched their tents on a prairie of dry grass about two miles from the river where they had to go to get water until they could dig wells.  They bought two terrenos (lots or plots of land) from a Mexican. l; They moved on the land, cleared it, plowed, planted and set out an orchard.  They hired some Mexicans to make adobes, and then built them a house.  Heber was chosen President of the Deacons quorum, then President of the Mutual.  These were his first Church positions.

Binghampton, Arizona DATE 1909  NOTE  The Farrs, along with several other families, moved from Mexico to a small settlement near Tucson, Arizona, in December of 1909.  By this time, Heber and Lizzy had seven children, and Heber had taken a second wife who also had several small children.  Plans had been made earlier with President Joseph Robinson, President of the California Mission, to visit.  On Saturday morning, May 21, 1910, Heber Farr and his uncle, Nephi Bingham, met the train from Salt Lake and California to get George Albert Smith, Joseph W. McMurrin and President Joseph E. Robinson.

The following Sunday afternoon, May 22, 1910, the first branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in the shade at the east of the Bingham  home.  The opening prayer was given by President Joseph E. Robinson.  The new branch was called "Binghampton Branch" after Uncle Nephi Bingham.  There was already a little town in Arizona by the name of Bingham.  Heber Farr was ordained Branch President, Fredrick Granger Williams (Lizzy's father), first counselor and Frank Webb, second counselor.  The sacrament was passed, talks were given, and the closing prayer was given by Joseph A. Farr.

Church services were held that summer under the shade trees by Heber and Joseph Farr's homes.  Uncle Nephi Bingham was county trustee of the Davidson School District.  He received permission to have a large school house built as more Saints and relatives were moving out of Mexico.  By Sept. 1910, the school house was built and by adding the little school house to the south end of the new building there was room for a stage and two class rooms more.

Uncle Nephi got permission to hold Church services in the school house.  At that time the Sunday School was organized.  Joseph A. Farr was ordained Superintendent of Sunday School, Elmer Cardon as 1st assistant, J. Alma Young as 2nd assistant, Ellen Bluth as secretary, and Clara Bingham as assistant secretary.  Heber O. Chlarson was set apart as Ward Clerk.  The next Sunday the Ladies' Relief Society was organized with Elizabeth Farr as president, May Bingham (Nephi's daughter) and Lindy Young (her sister) as her assistants and Hazel Williams (another sister) as secretary.  Later the Primary and Mutual were organized.  See "History of Binghampton" by Edna Bingham Sabin, in the possession of Sherrie Farr Dunford, Julie Farr Thomas, and other Farr family members.

 RESI Orem, Utah DATE 1926
 RESI Grandpa Bingham's place DATE 1888
 RESI Grandpa Bingham's place PLAC Huntsville, Weber, Utah

Heber spent a lot of time at Grandpa Bingham's, and while his father was in Southern Utah trying to escape the U.S. Marshals who wanted him imprisoned for polygamy, and during his father's imprisonment, Heber's mother, Melvina, took her six children (and one on the way) and went to live with her parents, Susan and Erastus Bingham in Huntsville.  It was here that Heber became well acquainted with future prophet and president David O. McKay, as they played and went to Primary and Sunday School.

Married by Bishop Winslow Farr, Jr., at the Frederick G. Williams II home in Colonia Dublan, Mexico. This sealing took place in Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico by John Henry Smith.  Sealed again in Salt Lake 4 Oct 1899 when she took out her endowments.

SLGS NOTE This sealing took place in Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, Mexico, and CONC occured before she was endowed.  Sealed by Anthony W. Ivans

Rosemilda Ranghilda (Hilda) BLUTH [scrapbook] 1 was born on 12 Feb 1883 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She was christened on 5 Apr 1883 in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States. She died on 21 Nov 1973 in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States. She was buried on 24 Nov 1973 in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States. Rosemilda married 2 Heber Erastus FARR 3 on 25 Mar 1904 in Colonia Dublán, Chihuahua, Mexico.

A Sketch of My Life by Hilda B. Farr

I wish I could give you a word picture of what has passed through my mind and before my eyes since I began life here on earth. I know of no one who has more reasons to be grateful than I for the many blessings that have come to me in my life.

I was born in this land of the free—in this great nation. I have always been glad I didn’t have to live during the dark ages. I was born the 12th of February 1883 in the city of Ogden, Weber County, Utah. My father was A.C.F. Bluth, who was born in Stockholm, Sweden August 24, 1842. My mother was Johanna Johnson Bluth, born May 14, 1848 at Goteberg, Sweden. They were both converts to the Latter-day Saints Church. My father had been married twice before he married my mother. Both of his first wives had died as had three of his children, leaving him only one young son. My mother had six children. I was the third child. Two older sisters than myself had died before I was born and I had three younger brothers.
When I was six years old, my parents moved to old Mexico in 1889. The relentless zeal of the U. S. Marshalls in seeking out violators of the Edmund-Tucker Law, had put many members of the Church in danger of prison sentences. My father was among those harassed Mormon members, which were being persecuted for their religious beliefs. Something had to be done. The Presidency of the Church made arrangements for a place of refuge where the Saints could live, which was across the border into old Mexico. A migration began which lasted for many years and as a result, eight colonies were established in that land.

My father’s family left Ogden by train the 15th of May 1889. The train took us to Deming, New Mexico where we remained for some time until arrangements could be made for someone to take us by team and wagon to our future home in the colonies. While at Deming, my second brother, Jared William, died with scarlet fever and was buried in Deming. My brother Oscar and I had both had scarlet fever and whooping cough before we left Ogden, which left me with a complication. I was left totally blind. I was blind for several months and under the doctor’s care, but it was only though the faith and prayers of my parents that I was healed and regained my sight.

To travel by team and wagon was no hardship for us children, but I’m sure my mother never felt it was a pleasure trip; cooking over a campfire and sleeping out. I well remember the large barrels on each side of the wagon filled with water for both our use and for the horses. A large tent was set up each night and taken down in the morning when we were ready to travel again. On those nights as we were camping out, we could hear the howl of coyotes and wolves, a sound that always frightened me and I was always afraid one would come too near. The road was no paved highway and was rough traveling. We also had to ford two large rivers.

One month from the time we left Ogden, Utah, we arrived in the colony of Dublan in Old Mexico. We now were in a strange land to begin a new life. Father set up our tent and then we gathered weeping willow tree limbs and built a nice bowery of willows in front of our tent, where we lived until father built our home. He made a mold himself, and made mud bricks called adobies from which he built us a two room house. We later added more rooms, which we felt made us quite comfortable.

My first school was at a neighbor’s home. Mollie Jones was the teacher of the school, where all the children of the families settled there, plus a lot of Mexican children gathered. I had a hard time learning English as I had been raised a little Swedish girl. My mother spoke only Swedish until quite late in her life; she learned what English my father taught her. I remember my father talking to mother in English and she would always answer him in Swedish. As more people came and a church was built, we held our school in the church house. I was 18 years old before I finished the eighth grade which was the highest our schools in Dublan went and I was not allowed to attend the academy at Juarez which was the church school 18 miles away. My father didn’t think girls needed any more education.

After I finished school, I went out working for other people, doing house work and sewing, which I enjoyed. Later I got a chance to work in the Mercantile Establishment where I was the cashier. It was while I was working at this store that I met and became acquainted with a good fellow of our town named H. E. Farr, whom I later married. He was a leader in the Stake, a member of the High Council, a stake missionary, and had filled a three year mission to the Eastern States, laboring in Pennsylvania. We were married March 25, 1904 at Colonia Juarez by President Ivins and later came to Salt Lake City to the Temple and had my endowments.

My first child, a son, was born the 4th of July 1906. We named him Halvan Heber. When my baby was eight months old, I went with my husband to the northern part of the State of Chihuahua, deep down into Mexico where he and some others from our colony had found work on a railroad. Myself and a sister-in-law were the only white women among several hundred Mexican, Japanese, and Indian men who were working for my husband on the railroad. It was a lovely place to live. Such an even climate, no frost, and with beautiful evergreen trees so large some were several feet through the trunk, and wild flowers and ferns. We built a log house to live in.

After some time, I went home for I was expecting a new baby. On May 18, 1908, my second son was born. A lovely baby, but he only lived a week. His father never was privileged to see him. I named him Ivan Bluth Farr. It was a sad time for me as I was young and inexperienced. My parents were such a comfort to me. My father made the little coffin to bury him in and it was lovely—all covered white and trimmed with lace. My father was an expert cabinet maker and helped to build many of the homes in the colony where we lived. After some time my husband came home for a short time and again I accompanied him back to his work with the railroad. After some time, the work with the railroad ended and we returned to our home in Dublan where our third son was born September 3, 1909. We called him Deral Winslow.

Money was quite scarce in the colonies and the stake president had advised people to find good temporary work elsewhere to bring in a little money to help pay for their homes. Some of my husband’s people persuaded him to come to Arizona where he contracted for a large tract of land in Tucson, Pima County. We left our home in Mexico to which we expected to come back some day. Several families left with us in November 1909. Deral was just two months old and Halvan just three. We moved in a wagon which was fixed up with an extension top over the wagon bed, so we could sleep in the wagon at night, but we had to do our cooking on a camp fire. We were about a month on our way, reaching Tucson near Christmas time.

There was no church organization in Tucson. My husband’s relatives were not L.D.S. members then, but were later baptized and came into the church. Other families moved in and in a short time a branch of the California Mission was organized and was called Binghampton. My husband was called to be the Branch President, which position he held for about fifteen years.

During the year 1912, because of the civil war in Mexico and the constant raid of bandits and guerilla bands, the members of the church residing in the Juarez Stake (consisting of eight settlements or wards) were robbed and persecuted and finally forced to seek refuge in the United States with the hope that they would again return to their homes, most of which were located close to the border. But as time passed and the conditions had not improved, a large number moved away and located in other stakes. We had been in Arizona three years and were pretty well settled when the people were driven out of Mexico. My husband, along with others, went to El Paso to help the people get located on lands and find homes and employment. There was 4,000 saints who left the colonies.

When our oldest son Halvan was ten years old, he was afflicted with tetnus (lockjaw). He was seriously ill, having convulsions for 21 days. The medical doctors said he was beyond help and was pronounced dead by the doctor of the hospital and the nurse even pinned the little death cross on his bed, as he was in a Catholic hospital. When we were notified of his death, we went immediately to the hospital and my husband and President Robinson of the California Mission who was with us, did not feel he was gone. They administered to him and in a very few seconds he began breathing again. He was restored to health. The nuns at the hospital always spoke of him as the resurrection and the miracle boy. It was truly a miracle of healing.

In 1926, we had to make another move. We had done well in Tucson and were comfortably situated, but my husband’s health broke down when he was nearly killed by a jersey bull. He couldn’t seem to gain his health back until he came to the Salt Lake Temple and received a special blessing for his health. So when our baby daughter Yvonne was three months old, I left Arizona to move to Utah. Myself and the four youngest children, Keith 6, Azona 4 ½ , Nadine 2, and the baby came on the train by way of San Francisco—crossed Oakland Bay on a boat. Then we boarded a train and came across the new railroad across the Great Salt Lake called the Lucian Cutoff. My husband and the older children had previously come by car bringing our household belongings and found us a house to live in. Before I arrived, Lawrence, who was in Provo with his father, was hit by a car. It broke his arm and fractured his skull. Everyone thought him a dead boy, but through good medical care and nursing and prayer, he was soon able to be around again. His father brought him to Ogden to meet us at the train. How frightened I was when I saw his head and his arm all bandaged.

Soon after, we bought a farm and moved to Pleasant Grove. In 1929, our youngest son Keith, who was then 10 ½ years old, had rheumatic fever which left his heart weak and he died in June of 1929. You can imagine with this large of a family we have spent lots of days and nights doctoring for earaches, toothaches, measles, mumps, and all the other ailments of childhood, none of which ever seemed to pass us by without all having to have their turn. I remember the day we took the four youngest children to Salt Lake to have their tonsils removed. It seemed in those days they used to take out tonsils as a family project. Forty-five miles to Salt Lake seemed like quite a trip then in our old car. Josephine, Azona, and Nadine had their tonsils removed, but the doctor thought Yvonne should wait. As it turned out Yvonne was sicker than the other three, just from smelling the ether. After ten days Josephine had a serious hemorrhage from her operation, which was a lot of worry at the time.

Eight of our children married and are sealed to their partners in the Temple. Our son Deral hasn’t chosen him a wife as yet. All have married well, good members of the L.D.S. Church and active and willing to take part in their church activities. When I go over the jobs my children are doing in the church, I believe it includes every organization in the church nearly,--they are Sunday School teachers and coordinators, Relief Society Presidents and Secretary, Sunday School chorister, Primary Teacher, MIA Counselor, two sons and four sons-in-law are members of ward bishoprics, stake missionaries, Seventy’s and Elder’s Quorums, and served on the High Council.

We now own a home in Provo and have an interest in a dairy farm in Payson where our two oldest sons live and operate the farm.

I was involved in a car accident in 1952 as I was returning from a visit to our oldest daughter’s, who lives in Roosevelt. It was in January, and the driver of the car lost control on the icy road in Daniel’s Canyon. The car went over an embankment which was quite steep and down a few hundred feet and stopped in about three feet of snow. The door came open and I was thrown from the car. Somehow I managed to climb back up the embankment and signaled for help. We were taken to the hospital at Heber City. The car was demolished and the driver had a broken back. I had several fractured ribs and many cuts and bruises, but I felt my life had been wonderfully preserved. I was in the hospital for three days and was then taken to my daughter Josephine’s home where I remained for some time until I was able to care for myself again.

Our son Lawrence Waldo died in August of 1957 after a lingering illness with cancer, leaving a lovely wife and five fine children. His death occurred on his father’s birthday, the 16th of August. His father was 82 and he was 42. Lawrence was well loved and respected—there were 1600 people that came and paid their respects at his funeral in the little town of Pleasant Grove where he and his family lived.

I have thirty five grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. I am thinking of the years yet to come, that I hope to enjoy with my family. My church work has been something I have enjoyed all my life and still do. We have visited five of the temples and have worked in the Salt Lake Temple ever since we came to Utah, which is now over thirty years. I earnestly desire to do more research work and temple work.

Our children are all wonderfully considerate of us and very dutiful of our wishes and needs. These incidents may mean but little to others, but to me they are milestones of my life and are important and dear to me. My life is still a joy to me and I pray it to be so for many years yet to come.

Hilda passed away 21 Nov 1973 in Provo, Utah, Utah. She was buried 24 Nov 1973 in Pleasant Grove, Utah, age 90 years old

They had the following children.

  M i Halvan Heber FARR was born on 4 Jul 1906. He died on 23 May 1984.
  M ii
Ivan Bluth FARR 1 was born on 18 May 1908 in Colonia Dublán, Chihuahua, Mexico. He died on 25 May 1908 in Colonia Dublán, Chihuahua, Mexico. He was buried in Colonia Dublán, Chihuahua, Mexico.
  M iii Deral Winslow FARR was born on 3 Sep 1909. He died on 10 Jul 1997.
  F iv Maybelle FARR was born on 7 Jul 1911. She died on 5 Oct 2003.
  F v Winifred FARR was born on 22 May 1913. She died on 26 Apr 2007.
  M vi Lawrence Waldo FARR was born on 28 Feb 1915. He died on 15 Aug 1957.
  F vii Josephine FARR was born on 26 Jan 1917. She died on 30 Apr 1999.
  M viii
Keith Sawtelle FARR [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 1 Dec 1919 in Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States. He died 3 on 5 Jun 1929 in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States. He was buried in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States.
  M ix
Joseph Lorin FARR 1 was born in Sep 1920 in Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States. He died in Sep 1920 in Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States.
  F x Azona FARR.
  F xi Nadine FARR.
  F xii Yvonne FARR.

Rudolph FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] 1 was born 2 on 14 Jul 1904 in Colonia Dublán, Chihuahua, Mexico. He died 3 on 30 Jan 1993 in Antelope Valley, Lander, Nevada, United States. He was buried in Antelope Valley, Lander, Nevada, United States. Rudolph married Elna BROWN 4, 5 on 8 Oct 1923 in Binghamton, Pima, Arizona, United States.

Rudolph was counted in a census 6 in 1920 in Fort Lowell, Pima, Arizona, United States.

The Life of Rudolph Farr

(Note: Grandpa and I did this together about a year before he died. He seemed to remember the events clearly, but was a little hazy on their sequence in time—so, don’t let that bother you, and just enjoy Grandpa’s memories of his full and good life!—Lorraine Farr Richardson)

Grandpa was born in Colonia Dublan, Mexico, one of 12 children born to Heber Farr and Amanda Elizabeth Williams. Their family had been sent to Mexico by the LDS Church to colonize. Grandpa remembers his father having a flour mill, a commissary, and a beautiful farm on the river, with lots of Hispanic hired help. Grandpa couldn’t speak English until his family moved to Arizona when he was six—while in Mexico, both parents spoke and sang in Spanish, always using it as their primary language with the whole family.

His father, Heber, was called to serve a mission to Pennsylvania for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 2 years; the family stayed in Mexico while he served. He traveled without purse or script, relying on the kindness of the people for his physical needs. Grandpa says that his father sometimes slept under railroad cars to get out of the snow, but “Father loved the gospel and was always willing to do whatever he could to build up the Lord’s kingdom”. After his 2-year mission, Heber was then called as mission president, and stayed one more year. Grandpa remembers his mother as always being very supportive of his father’s Church service.

Grandpa has memories of his father and Jim Jesperson singing Spanish duets at church. He says they sang a lot, entertaining for parties, programs, and socials. His father had a beautiful voice.

Grandpa remembers his mother having a talent for writing; she wrote a great deal of beautiful poetry. She also played the organ for parties and for meetings.

Heber Farr took a job managing the building of a railroad for a year in Mexico. Grandpa remembers riding on the back of a burro in an old powder box with holes cut for his legs, going around with his father, who was on a horse, while his father supervised the railroad construction. Grandpa would go all day long in that box—even taking a nap in it when he was tired—being perfectly happy just to stay with “Father”, as he always called his dad.

When Grandpa was about six years old, his family was forced to move. Pancho Via was robbing towns, stores, and flour mills, killing animals, plundering, and harassing, and the Church counseled everyone to leave the colonies in Mexico. Grandpa’s family came out in a wagon train to Binghampton, Arizona, 7 miles out of Tuscon. There they started new farms, digging a canal—by shovel--from 3 miles up the river, the whole community working together on the project.

Grandpa’s father, Heber, was the bishop in Binghampton for 16 years, and Grandma’s father, Charles Sidney Brown, was a counselor to him all that time. Heber was released when he was injured badly by his pet bull in a terrible accident.

While in Mexico, Grandpa’s father was asked by Church leaders to take another wife—all the families there were asked to—and Grandpa’s father and mother talked it over and decided on Hilda Bluth, a young woman living there in the Colonies. Grandpa says that no people in the Church were more dedicated to the gospel than his parents; they were willing to do whatever the Lord and His servants asked them to do.

Grandpa doesn’t ever remember any jealousy or crossness between the two wives. He says they and all their families got along very well. The two wives had 12 children each, and the children would play back and forth at both homes, eat wherever they happened to be, and were treated the same by both mothers. The two houses were right next door to each other, and “Father” spent one night at one house, the next night at the other. Grandpa says the wives were very good friends—their doors were always open, and they talked back and forth to each other all the time. If either wife was sick, the other one would take over, feeding everyone, doing the washing and cleaning, running the households.

Grandpa remembers his home being really happy—no cross voices or fighting. Grandpa says that “Father better not ever hear one of his children talk crossly to either wife! If they did something really wrong, Father got out his pocketknife and would tell them to go get a willow. If they brought too little of a willow, they had to go get another! Father would give them about 3 licks and a talking to.” Grandpa says the talk was worse than the licking—it made him “feel like a genuine bum”, to quote Grandpa. He says, “Father had a way of bringing the Savior into the talk, telling how kind He was and how He helped people.”

If his father had time to read a story, all the children would be wherever he was. He loved to gather all his children around, sitting together to read stories to them in the evenings, and Grandpa remembers him reading aloud some beautiful stories.

When Grandpa was little, he liked any kind of food—no favorites. His mother was a good cook, and cooked whatever they raised in their garden. Also, they always had their own dairy and meat.

Before he went to school every day, Grandpa milked cows with Hal, Aunt Hilda’s (their title for the other wife) boy. Grandpa and Hal would do chores and work together after school, as well, then go to whichever house dinner was ready at first!

Grandpa went to a school that had 4 rooms, divided by curtains, so he could always hear the other classes’ lessons. That school went up to 8th grade, then the students went to Tuscon to high school. Grandpa drove an old Buick and took the kids that needed to go to high school.

Grandma moved to Binghampton about a year after Grandpa did. He remembers how she played baseball and marbles with the boys at recess in grade school. He says she could beat all the boys! When asked if he had always liked Grandma, he chuckled and said, “Who wouldn’t? She was quite a tomboy and more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Everybody liked Grandma!”

Grandpa and his brothers liked to play hookey and go swimming when they were little, so his mother would sew their clothes on them so that they couldn’t take them off—the boys would go swimming anyway, and just stand out in the hot sun until their clothes dried on them before they went near the house!

His father got Grandpa new shoes and overalls to go on a Scout hike; Grandpa got to the end of the lane, hid his new shoes, and went on the hike barefoot. The Scoutmaster was worried, but Grandpa hated shoes and said his feet felt fine. His uncle said that his feet were so tough, Grandpa could walk through a sand burr patch and just put his feet up to a fence and scrape them off when he got to the other side! He went barefoot all the time when he was little—to Primary, to dances, to school. Sometimes he’d get a “pretty good sliver” on those wooden floors, and would have to hobble over to the bench to sit down and get it out.

His mother would skim thick cream off of the milk and rub it on Grandpa’s sore feet and toes when they’d get cracked from going barefoot. Then she’d open the oven door and have him prop his feet up on a blanket-covered board on the oven door before he went to bed—a foot treatment that really helped.

The Farrs had two ponds behind their house in Binghampton, used for water storage and irrigation. Willows hid the ponds from the house, so the boys liked to swim there because their mother couldn’t see them and they could get away with doing it a lot! Later, their father had them build a swimming pool with rocks and cement so that the whole community could come swimming. It was neat and clean, with water running through it and no mud or mess; this was their main entertainment, and the whole community loved it.

Grandpa and Grandma liked to dance together; Grandpa especially liked the two-step and the waltz. They won several waltz contests together. This is how the contests worked: every couple would waltz to start with, then the judges would tap the dancers on the shoulder that they’d want to stay in. When several couples were all that were left, the judges would decide the winners. When Grandpa and Grandma won the dance contests, they would receive a bag of candy as a prize for winning. They’d then pass it around to all the contestants, and only a couple of little pieces would be left by the time it got back to them! When asked if he liked to dance as much as Grandma did, Grandpa laughed and said, “Nobody liked to dance as much as Grandma!”

After finishing high school, Grandpa went to college at Utah State University in Logan for one-half of a year. He really enjoyed college, and planned to study agriculture. He even tried the experience of being in a play while there! However, his college education was cut short when his father was hurt badly in a terrible accident with his pet bull: Heber had bought new overalls, shirt, and hat; then, while wearing them, he went to change the water in the pasture where the bull was. The bull knew him well, but the new clothes must have disguised Father’s appearance and smell, because the bull charged him. Father dodged him around a tree in the pasture until he stumbled—then the bull crushed his chest and “really tore him up”, as Grandpa says, breaking lots of bones and hurting him badly. Father rolled under the fence, but the bull was still trying to get at him when Father’s brother-in-law found him. Father never could do farm work or any heavy work after that; he became the county assessor.

Grandpa’s mother wrote to him at college to inform him of these sad events, telling him how much they needed him at home to help. Grandpa’s older brother, Erron, had gone to the mines in Globe to work, and Grandpa—the second oldest boy—had the farm work fall to him.

Grandpa was always good to his mother. He said she was kind to him and he wanted to be kind back. Mother washed in a big tub heated on a fire with a dasher she lifted up and down; Grandpa hated to see her working so hard and was afraid she’d catch her skirt on fire, so he saved up his money and bought her a washer to make it easier for her.

After coming home from Logan, Grandpa grew onions—he had a contract for them—and one time two little sisters pulled them all up, out of the hotbed. They got a good spanking for that!

Grandpa’s father and President David O. McKay grew up together as children in Utah. The prophet knew Father personally and would stay with Grandpa’s family when coming to Binghampton for conferences, etc.

Grandma was 20 years old and Grandpa was 3 weeks short of 20 when they married. Grandpa worked for an ice cream company for a couple of years before and a couple of years after they were married. He packed the ice cream in ice and drove the ice cream truck. Later, he started making the ice cream—Grandpa thought that was fun! They’d take orders for different kinds, and the owner would tell Grandpa what colors, what molds, etc., to get it ready for the party or whatever occasion. Grandpa could eat all he wanted and would take some home to Grandma. His father would stop by and eat some, too—he loved it. Grandpa said that he himself got to the point that he couldn’t even stand ice cream!

Then, Father asked him to go down to Mexico with the Mexico-Arizona Land Company, of which his father was a partner. Grandpa and Grandma moved to Cine Loa, where Grandpa managed farms of tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and pinto beans for the Mexico-Arizona Land Co.

After working for that company, Grandpa and Grandma came back to Arizona to a town called Fort Low which was 6 miles from Binghampton, and farmed again, raising hay. Grandpa’s father and mother had moved to Provo, Utah by then, and Grandpa and Grandma ended up moving to Provo as well, where he worked for a man named Roy Parks for 7 years, driving a team of 4 horses for him, irrigating and caring for his peach, apple, apricot, and plum orchards, and hauling the fruit all over Utah.

They then moved to Woodruff, Arizona and raised onions, helping his brother-in-law, Elmer, get a farm going. Grandpa was in a play there, playing the part of a black man. He says that Clyde was scared of him and didn’t want to go home with him after the play!

Grandma always said that she was going to have 15 children, and Grandpa said it broke her heart that she was only able to have two. They were delighted to at last get a beautiful daughter, Bess, but then endured so many miscarriages that they lost count of them, and had almost given up ever having any more children. Finally, 8 years later, a son, Clyde, was born. However, he was born prematurely, weighing only 2 ½ pounds, and it was a cold February in Utah. The doctor told them, “Them’s pretty poor potatoes”, and wasn’t very encouraging that their new son would survive.

Grandpa and Grandma put him in a shoe box behind the stove in the kitchen—the warmest spot in the house—and kept the stove red hot, trying to keep him alive. The doctor was very surprised to find Clyde still alive when he came back the next morning. The doctor stayed close by for about a week, watching Grandma and Clyde closely. They fed him with an eyedropper at first, and he gradually gained weight and became strong and healthy.

Bess and Clyde were always very devoted to each other. Bess got Clyde ready for school, fixed his breakfast, etc., while Grandma milked in the mornings, and always took great care of him. Grandma liked to work outside on the farm, so Bess often tended Clyde. Clyde says that he was 10 or 11 years old before he realized he didn’t have two mothers, and he sent Bess Mother’s Day cards for years!

Grandma was the parent who did the disciplining when it was necessary—“the spanking and the talking to”, as Grandpa says. She was strict with the children and expected them to do what she told them. Clyde says he never remembers Grandpa spanking him. Grandpa would take Clyde out working with him a lot; Clyde would ride with him on the tractor and fall asleep, staying until Grandpa came in for lunch. Clyde says he never remembers his father being cross; he was always good-natured and pleasant, and extremely honest.

When they lived in Utah, Rudolph had his horses in pulling contests, which were a big thing back then. For the pull, you’d hitch 2 horses up to a loaded wagon, yell “Pull!”, and the horses had to pull the loaded wagon 3 feet past a line. Grandpa would sit on a seat behind the horses and talk to them—didn’t yell, just talk—while they pulled. Grandpa won the contest 3 years in a row. Because he also won a big 3-state contest, he was asked to go to England for a pulling contest there. However, the war broke out, so he couldn’t go. He was proud of the ribbon and plaque he’d won, though. Grandpa had a horse named Cap that he said no horse could ever outpull.

Grandpa trained his horses every night after work, adding a little more and a little more to their load, until they could barely budge it. Grandma would go watch him in the pulling contests, and his father would love to come and watch, too. Grandpa said his father would get so engrossed in “pushing” for Grandpa’s team that he’d push everyone off the bench while he watched, not even realizing what he was doing!

Grandpa bought an International truck and started trucking, hauling fruit one way, and hauling coal back. He and his brother, Hal, worked together. But, he had to be gone all the time, and didn’t like that.

So, they moved down to Mesa, AZ and got a dairy. They started with 12 or 14 cows—not very good ones, according to Grandpa—and built up a nice herd from there. Bess, Clyde, Grandpa, and Grandma milked by hand. They had a farm and dairy out on Baseline Road, and lived there for a long time. They got up to about 150 cows, milking them by machine. After Bess married, she and her husband, Tom, lived on a farm near Grandpa and Grandma.

Clyde married Lucille Fuller and went into the Air Force. When he returned 4 years later, he and Grandpa bought a dairy in Casa Grande, Arizona. Bess and Tom bought a dairy there, as well. They increased that herd to 500 cows. After several years, they sold the dairy for a cattle ranch near Eureka, Nevada, called The Willows Ranch. They loved it there, but the price of cattle dropped, and after several years they lost it. They then moved to different farms and ranches in Nevada, eventually ending up raising alfalfa hay as partners with Clyde and Lucille on a farm in Antelope Valley, between Austin and Battle Mountain, NV, where Grandpa and Grandma lived for about 20-25 years, until their deaths.

Clyde was impressed that whenever there was a tragedy—financial, or a big fire, or whatever—Grandpa never let it bother him, or at least never showed that it did. He just said, “Well, I guess we’ve got to start over.” And he would. He was an extremely hard worker, as was Grandma, and would just dive in, rebuilding after any tragedy.

While they were living in Antelope Valley, one night a fire ignited in the haystacks by their bunkhouse, and soon was out of control, burning their saddles, food storage, pictures and library, generator, machinery, hay stacks, fuel tanks, and much other family storage. Grandpa never said much about the loss; he just acted grateful that no one was hurt or killed, and continued on with his hard work.

Grandpa remembers going out to milk the cows when Clyde was young and hearing Clyde singing at the top of his voice. He laughed and said that he could hear Clyde’s singing 40 acres away! Grandpa said he’d be down in the fields changing the water and could hear Clyde singing. Clyde remembers Grandpa—and Grandma—singing a lot when he was little. Grandpa also remembers how, when Clyde was little, he used to go out and rope the cows while Grandpa milked. Grandpa chuckled about how Clyde would rope them over and over, but the cows didn’t seem to mind!

Clyde tells how Grandpa kept Bess and him laughing so hard during meals that they hardly ever finished a meal for laughing, tears streaming down their faces. Grandpa had funny names for all the cows, all Besses’ boyfriends, and all Clyde’s friends. Grandpa didn’t tell jokes, but he had a very quick wit, and a knack for saying hilarious things with a perfectly straight face—something that his children and grandchildren enjoyed immensely!

Clyde says that he and Bess spent their whole lives at home laughing, because of the funny little things Grandpa was always saying. Grandpa and Grandma seldom played or vacationed, but Clyde says they always had a great time working together. Grandpa’s wit and fun sense of humor really made life and home fun for them. His children and grandchildren loved him to pieces!

He was a very hard worker and expected a lot out of others, but one word of praise from him made a person feel so good that any amount of hard work was worth it! Grandpa’s compliments were treasured, and his high opinion greatly valued. He had a gift for making each individual person feel special. He was a good and noble man, and we, his posterity, honor him, love him, and look forward to being with him again one day.

DEATH: Near Battle Mountain.

Elna BROWN [scrapbook] 1, 2 was born on 20 Jun 1904 in Mancos, Montezuma, Colorado, United States. She died on 31 Dec 1987 in Antelope Valley, Lander, Nevada, United States. She was buried in Antelope Valley, Lander, Nevada, United States. Elna married Rudolph FARR 3 on 8 Oct 1923 in Binghamton, Pima, Arizona, United States.

Elna was counted in a census 4 in 1910 in Bluff, San Juan, Utah, United States.

They had the following children.

  F i Bessie FARR was born on 5 Jul 1924. She died on 31 Jul 2000.
  M ii Clyde Rudolph FARR was born on 1 Feb 1932. He died on 30 Sep 2007.

Forest Leon FREEMAN [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 3 Sep 1917 in Monroe, Indiana, United States. He died 3, 4 on 8 Dec 1988 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. Forest married Mildred Irene FARR about 1939 in Indiana, United States.

Mildred Irene FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 17 Aug 1916 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. She died 3, 4 on 2 Mar 2005 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. Mildred married Forest Leon FREEMAN about 1939 in Indiana, United States.

Mildred was counted in a census 5 in 1930 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States.

Thomas J. FARR Jr. [Parents] [scrapbook] 1 was born 2, 3 on 4 Dec 1923 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. He died 4 in May 1985. He was buried 5 in Tucker, DeKalb, Georgia, United States. Thomas married Anna Louise CLINE 6 about 1947 in United States.

Thomas was counted in a census 7 in 1940 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States.

Tom was in the Battle of the Bulge in WWII, the 2nd attack on Pork Chop Hill in the Korean conflict. He was, at retirement, the Director of Real Estate for the Kroger Co.

Thomas J Jr Farr, "United States World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946"
Name:Thomas J Jr Farr
Name (Original):FARR THOMAS J JR
Event Type:Military Service
Event Date:04 Mar 1943
Term of Enlistment:Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Event Place:Ft Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, United States
Residence Place:
Citizenship Status:
Birth Year:1923
Education Level:2 years of college
Civilian Occupation:
Marital Status:Single, without dependents
Military Rank:Private
Army Branch:No branch assignment
Army Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source Reference:Civil Life
Serial Number:35095208
Affiliate Publication Title:Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938-1946
Affiliate ARC Identifier:1263923
Box Film Number:08943.316

Anna Louise CLINE 1 was born 2 in 1925. She died 3 in 2002. Anna married Thomas J. FARR Jr. 4 about 1947 in United States.

They had the following children.

  M i Gary FARR.
  F ii Sandra FARR.

Rev. Charles Edward "Chuck" FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 19 Aug 1925 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. He died 3 on 16 Mar 2007 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. He was buried 4 on 21 Mar 2007 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States. Chuck married Margaret CLARK "Maggie".

Chuck was counted in a census 5 in 1940 in Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States.

Margaret "Maggie" CLARK.

Charles ANDERSON was born 1 on 14 May 1896 in Battle Creek, Madison, Nebraska, United States. He died 2 on 28 Mar 1947 in Cheyenne, Laramie, Wyoming, United States. He was buried 3 on 31 Mar 1947 in Ogallala Cemetery, Keith, Nebraska, United States. Charles married Pearl Malinda PERSONS on 17 Dec 1921 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States.

Pearl Malinda PERSONS [scrapbook] was born on 20 Nov 1896 in Spencer, Boyd, Nebraska, United States. She died on 22 Dec 1986 in Ogallala, Keith, Nebraska, United States. She was buried on 24 Dec 1986 in Ogallala Cemetery, Keith, Nebraska, United States. Pearl married Charles ANDERSON on 17 Dec 1921 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States.

Other marriages:
FARR, George Ray

Pearl Malinda Persons and her sister Nellie Alice persons married two Farr brothers. George Ray Farr and Cyrus Thomas Farr.

Dewey Ray FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 7 Jan 1920 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States. He died 3, 4 on 19 Jun 1988 in Hastings, Mills, Iowa, United States. He was buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, Madison, Nebraska, United States. Dewey married Lillian Louise FALLIN on 28 Dec 1949.

Dewey was counted in a census 5 in 1920 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States. He was counted in a census 6 in 1930 in Ogallala, Keith, Nebraska, United States.

Lillian Louise FALLIN was born 1, 2 on 8 Sep 1930 in Byers, Arapahoe, Colorado, United States. She died 3, 4 on 1 Feb 2007 in Byers, Arapahoe, Colorado, United States. She was buried on 4 Feb 2007 in Aurora, Arapahoe, Colorado, United States. Lillian married Dewey Ray FARR on 28 Dec 1949.

Elvin Ardean "Lefty" SYBRANT was born 1 on 22 Nov 1909 in Rock, Nebraska, United States. He died 2 on 12 Mar 1995 in Powell, Park, Wyoming, United States. He was buried 3 on 18 Mar 1995 in Keith, Nebraska, United States. Lefty married 4 Hazel Ina FARR on 24 Jan 1944 in Nebraska, United States.

Hazel Ina FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1 on 23 Feb 1916 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States. She died 2 on 1 Jul 1990 in Ogallala, Keith, Nebraska, United States. She was buried 3 on 7 Jul 1990 in Ogallala Cemetery, Keith, Nebraska, United States. Hazel married 4 Elvin Ardean SYBRANT "Lefty" on 24 Jan 1944 in Nebraska, United States.

Hazel was counted in a census 5 in 1920 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States. She was counted in a census 6 in 1930 in Ogallala, Keith, Nebraska, United States.

Jerry SLADKEY [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 22 Apr 1910 in Czechoslovakia. He died 3, 4 on 11 May 1985 in Granite City, Madison, Illinois, United States. Jerry married 5 Florence Eva FARR "Sally" on 27 Mar 1948.

Florence Eva "Sally" FARR [Parents] [scrapbook] was born 1, 2 on 30 Mar 1915 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States. She died 3 on 26 May 2002 in Rapid City, Pennington, South Dakota, United States. She was buried 4 on 30 May 2002 in Maryville, Madison, Illinois, United States. Sally married 5 Jerry SLADKEY on 27 Mar 1948.

Sally was counted in a census 6 in 1920 in Norfolk, Madison, Nebraska, United States. She was counted in a census 7 in 1930 in Ogallala, Keith, Nebraska, United States.

George Franklin FARR [Parents] was born 1 on 3 Sep 1847 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States. George married 2, 3 Mary LEE on 15 May 1871 in Chicopee, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States.

George was counted in a census 4 in 1850 in Chicopee, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States.

Mary LEE was born in 1849 in England, United Kingdom. She died 1 on 10 May 1915 in Easthampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts, United States. She was buried on 12 May 1915 in Chicopee Falls, Chicopee, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States. Mary married 2, 3 George Franklin FARR on 15 May 1871 in Chicopee, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States.

They had the following children.

  M i
George Alton FARR Jr. was born 1 on 24 Nov 1873 in Attleborough City, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States.

George was counted in a census 2 in 1900 in Lowell, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States.
  F ii
Etta FARR was born 1 on 23 Dec 1876 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States. She died 2 on 3 May 1877 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States.
  F iii Anna FARR was born on 23 Feb 1878.
  F iv Emma FARR was born on 9 Jun 1881. She died on 22 Feb 1945.
  F v Maybelle Gertrude FARR was born on 17 Aug 1883. She died on 17 Jul 1947.
  M vi Henry Thomas FARR was born on 20 Jan 1887. He died in Nov 1980.
  F vii Mary FARR was born on 9 Dec 1888.
  F viii Florence M FARR was born on 16 Dec 1890. She died on 2 Oct 1934.

Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index